Egg binding and egg shape.

Dec 2, 2020
I had a nearly 2 year old Icelandic hen die from egg binding. She laid long skinny eggs all the way through. I hatched some and they produced beautiful birds.

How common is egg binding? Does the egg shape indicate she was going to get it/be prone to it?

My other Icelandics lay normal looking eggs, except one that lays an almost perfect round egg.

Sorry for your loss. I had a polish hen who laid torpedo-shaped eggs. Are you feeding a layer type feed and providing crushed pyster shell in a separate container for the chickens?

Sorry for your loss. I had a polish hen who laid torpedo-shaped eggs. Are you feeding a layer type feed and providing crushed pyster shell in a separate container for the chickens?

I do provide both.

They also free range weather dependent. We are under about 2 feet of snow currently.

This is the first hen I’ve had that has passed - other than predators

Should have started on the remedies earlier, but she was always a bit hangdog and I assumed it was nothing.

When you have one that is supected to be eggbound, giving a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D can help with muscle contraction. Encourage fluids, and try to place them in a warm humid spot, such as a bathroom with steam.

Back
Top Bottom