Egg "bloom" question

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
We normally don't wash our eggs, but the basket was left outside in the rain yesterday. This is probably a stupid question, but do you have to scrub to get the bloom off or would the rain have washed it off? Not sure whether the eggs should be refrigerated or not.

Thanks!

Quote:
I don't buy this since commercial eggs don't feel oily at all. I think they would feel someone oily if they were coated with mineral oil.

Quote:
This makes sense. But tell me this. How long can an egg sit unrefrigerated before it goes bad even if you don't wash it? I am not trying to start a debate here. Just honest to goodness curiosity.

mother earth news has a really fabulous article on this question.
smile.png

Quote:
I don't buy this since commercial eggs don't feel oily at all. I think they would feel someone oily if they were coated with mineral oil.

Buy it or not it's true I didn't just make it up. From the USDA website:

Should You Wash Eggs?
No. When the egg is laid, a protective coating is put on the outside by the hen. At the plant, government regulations require that USDA-graded eggs be carefully washed and sanitized using special detergent. Then the egg is coated with a tasteless, natural mineral oil to protect it.

What is "bloom" ?

I don't recall anyone in our household ..on the farm, I mean... ever washing any of the chicken eggs before just crackin' 'em and using them for whatever.

Please 'splain a nOoB..
tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom