Egg bound chicken and it broke inside

She is doing well still slightly active. Likes to dip her tail from time to time and has had the hard boiled yoke chaucky mixed poop but all very small. On the bad side it is 91 today and will be 90+ the next 2 days.
You have better weather then we do! It's been over 100 every day for awhile.

she expelled a tiny it of egg shell.

Can you please post photos of her and her poop?

Can you explain what she expelled, was it eggshell and yolk/whites or just a piece of hard shell?

I agree, I'd get some Calcium into her. The 600mg tablet is fine. Just open her beak, pop in the pill and let her swallow.
Do keep encouraging her to stay hydrated. Electrolytes can be added to her water, but she needs plain water throughout the day too. Let her eat, if she's not that interested, then give her bits of egg, small pieces of fruit or melon, something to entice her.

IF you only got eggshell out and she was leaking yolk or whites, then I'd get her on an oral antibiotic. Amoxicillin is a good choice. Sometimes you can find Fish Antibiotic at TSC depending on where you live, if not, you can order it online.

Let her move about as much as she's willing.

Can you please post photos of her and her poop?

Can you explain what she expelled, was it eggshell and yolk/whites or just a piece of hard shell?

I agree, I'd get some Calcium into her. The 600mg tablet is fine. Just open her beak, pop in the pill and let her swallow.
Do keep encouraging her to stay hydrated. Electrolytes can be added to her water, but she needs plain water throughout the day too. Let her eat, if she's not that interested, then give her bits of egg, small pieces of fruit or melon, something to entice her.

IF you only got eggshell out and she was leaking yolk or whites, then I'd get her on an oral antibiotic. Amoxicillin is a good choice. Sometimes you can find Fish Antibiotic at TSC depending on where you live, if not, you can order it online.

Let her move about as much as she's willing.
So she not really ate much the last 2 days not drank much water. She is enjoying her water melon right now. We think we saw a tiny bit of egg shell on day one when she took her Epson salt bath, since then we have seen no shells and tiny bits of cooked yoke. She tucks her tail some times but not always she doesn't normally act like she is trying to move something in her stomach. I have left down there and it isn't hard and no lumps. She has been somewhat active during the day and when I give her epson baths she does walk back down to the chicken area mostly on her own (long walk).
Attached is one her latest tiny turds and of her.
20220626_201713.jpg

Attachments

• 20220626_202358.jpg
    20220626_202358.jpg
    625.1 KB · Views: 6
The poop is very odd. Is that what she's expelling?

What's her crop like?
I'd work on hydration, if she likes a little sugar water or gatorade, then let her drink. Melon is good.
I'd get some coconut oil into her to see if that will help loosen up her stool a bit. Mine love small pieces of coconut oil that's been hardened in the fridge or freezer, they will gobble it down.

Dose for Amoxicillin is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

Back
Top Bottom