Egg bound Chicken help

I believe it was Saturday. We have 2 layers so not sure if it was hers or not.
Was the egg that you saw on Saturday a “normal egg”?
Does this hen have a history of laying shell-less , or extremely fragile (thin shelled) eggs?
If not there should no danger in a gentle internal exam. Gentle is key! You aren’t firing a torpedo up there.
You’ll know it’s an egg if one’s in there and you feel it with your fingertip.:old :hugs

No, I am so afraid of breaking the egg. I will try tomorrow.
Just be gentle and you will be okay.

Calcium dissolved in water returns egg shell to soft and she will be able to pass it. Lots of calcium in her water
I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying that giving calcium softens an already shelled egg?

Do you have more information/an article to reference that? Scientific journal perhaps?
What's the charcoal for?
X2

Was the egg that you saw on Saturday a “normal egg”?
Does this hen have a history of laying shell-less , or extremely fragile (thin shelled) eggs?
If not there should no danger in a gentle internal exam. Gentle is key! You aren’t firing a torpedo up there.
You’ll know it’s an egg if one’s in there and you feel it with your fingertip.:old :hugs
I agree.

If this were my hen and I could confirm a stuck egg I would give 60 ml of fluids orally, about 250-500 mg of calcium gluconate (sold in the cattle section of Tractor Supply), a d3 capsule, then I would place her in a steam filled bathroom on a heating pad set to low for 1-4 hours.

The calcium will help her muscles contract to get the egg out.

I just soaked her again. I got Vaseline and a glove and stuck my finger in there, not sure if I went far enough because I am scared, it looked like yolk coming out but I didn’t feel an egg. I have been sprinkling calcium on her food and added probiotics and electrolytes to her water.

Look how red she is on her belly near her bottom and her comb looks a little grey on one tip

Attachments

• DBAD358C-0143-45E4-81D9-05C37FC5E40E.jpeg
    DBAD358C-0143-45E4-81D9-05C37FC5E40E.jpeg
    605.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 5D8005E2-314A-4801-A588-5CADBA9F95E3.jpeg
    5D8005E2-314A-4801-A588-5CADBA9F95E3.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 21
I just soaked her again. I got Vaseline and a glove and stuck my finger in there, not sure if I went far enough because I am scared, it looked like yolk coming out but I didn’t feel an egg. I have been sprinkling calcium on her food and added probiotics and electrolytes to her water.

Look how red she is on her belly near her bottom and her comb looks a little grey on one tip

You had some questions/information in previous posts did you see that?
I don't believe I've every seen the skin on an abdomen that color. Can you look to the sides there too - is that just some dirt/poop or is it scabs/injury, very hard to tell.

What does that swelling feel like -fluid filled, hard/soft? To me, I don't think she's got an egg "stuck" in the oviduct. It's possible she had a soft shell egg that broke in there if it looked like yolk was coming out after you examined her (no, you did not do it). Is she able to poop at all? Photos of the poop would be good.

I am still inclined to say she is suffering from a reproductive disorder as mention in that previous post I linked for you. The swelling may contain fluid that can be drained, but I would recommend if you do that, you also give her antibiotics to help with infection. Do keep in mind, that draining and antibiotics are not a cure - they are to offer comfort/supportive care and improve quality of life for a short period of time.
upload_2019-4-18_13-58-52.png

You had some questions/information in previous posts did you see that?
I don't believe I've every seen the skin on an abdomen that color. Can you look to the sides there too - is that just some dirt/poop or is it scabs/injury, very hard to tell.

What does that swelling feel like -fluid filled, hard/soft? To me, I don't think she's got an egg "stuck" in the oviduct. It's possible she had a soft shell egg that broke in there if it looked like yolk was coming out after you examined her (no, you did not do it). Is she able to poop at all? Photos of the poop would be good.

I am still inclined to say she is suffering from a reproductive disorder as mention in that previous post I linked for you. The swelling may contain fluid that can be drained, but I would recommend if you do that, you also give her antibiotics to help with infection. Do keep in mind, that draining and antibiotics are not a cure - they are to offer comfort/supportive care and improve quality of life for a short period of time.
View attachment 1742843

That is just her wet feathers, I had just soaked her. She has been pooping, I will try to get a picture. I have been looking for a chicken vet, I called one place but he won’t be in until tomorrow.

I did see the information posted. I want to thank everyone for the information given.

It breaks my heart to tell you I had to put Henrietta down . The vet said there is nothing I could have done to prevent it from happening it’s just something that happens with chickens sometimes. He said he could drain her but there were no guarantees that she would survive and it would probably fill back up and kill her anyway. He took X-rays and she was so full of yolk and fluids that you couldn’t see her organs on the X-ray .

Egg yolk peritonitis (the presence of yolk material in the coelomic cavity) is a common cause of abdominal distension in birds. Yolk material by itself induces a mild inflammatory response and may be reabsorbed by the peritoneum. Because yolk is an excellent growth medium for bacteria, peritonitis may result from secondary bacterial infection. Localized to diffuse fibrinous peritonitis may result, and may lead to secondary ascites and organ inflammation or compromise in chronic cases.

Attachments

• 7D2ECC48-4D57-4DF2-8DF2-0F03E0E15C3F.jpeg
    7D2ECC48-4D57-4DF2-8DF2-0F03E0E15C3F.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 16
It breaks my heart to tell you I had to put Henrietta down . The vet said there is nothing I could have done to prevent it from happening it’s just something that happens with chickens sometimes. He said he could drain her but there were no guarantees that she would survive and it would probably fill back up and kill her anyway. He took X-rays and she was so full of yolk and fluids that you couldn’t see her organs on the X-ray .

Egg yolk peritonitis (the presence of yolk material in the coelomic cavity) is a common cause of abdominal distension in birds. Yolk material by itself induces a mild inflammatory response and may be reabsorbed by the peritoneum. Because yolk is an excellent growth medium for bacteria, peritonitis may result from secondary bacterial infection. Localized to diffuse fibrinous peritonitis may result, and may lead to secondary ascites and organ inflammation or compromise in chronic cases.
I'm sorry for your loss:hugs

Back
Top Bottom