Egg Bound Chicken

Angelsmom

Hatching
Feb 25, 2016
I purchased 8 hens from a friend a week ago. I kept her hens separated for the week (kept in their coop) to make sure they were healthy, did not have mites and so mine could hear and see them. I have added them to my current flock of 7 hens and 2 roosters, to free range together during the day. At night they still roost in their own coops. My friend said she was getting 5 to 6 eggs a day and they are only producing 2 a day at the most.
I believe one of the hens is egg blocked, due to a improper diet. She mixed oyster shells 50/50 to the feed and fed them pasta and pancakes as treats. I have soaked her in warm water two days now, fed her crushed tums for needed calcium and inserted Vaseline in her vent. She is pooping, eating and drinking. I added her back to the flock after day two since she seems to be acting normal. Her bottom is rock hard and feels to have up to three eggs there, her vent is pulsating and protruding as if she is straining. Please advise on what else I can do. I do not want to loose her but don't know what else to do.

If she is otherwise acting normal she probably isn't egg bound. When chickens have to get used to a new environment, establish a new pecking order and change feed it can cause them to stop laying for up to a month! (Usually more like 2 weeks.) I would watch her for egg bound behavior before treating her.

Egg bound behavior:

Lethargic
Not eating or drinking much
Swollen abdomen
Spending a lot of time in the laying box. (Attempting to lay her egg but can't)
Passing wet droppings or none at all
pale comb

Hope this helpss!

Thank you, here is my main concern.... just below her vent is rock hard, where as all the other hens are soft and her vent is pulsing and swollen. She also has none of the soft feathers below her tail feathers (the soft ones around the vent) as they were cut out by the previous owner. She stated she was covered in poop when she got her at egg laying stage. Is this the area where I would feel the eggs that are blocked? I am new to chickens, raising mine from chicks and they are just now laying, mine are very happy and healthy and laying everyday.

Alrighty...to help you figure this out for sure...and possibly ease your mind, here's what you need to do to find out for sure if there is an egg there or not.

This is rather gross, but completely do-able! You need to grab a vinyl glove if you have one, lube your pointer finger with vasaline or just plain old oil if you don't have any. Then you need to gently push your finger into her vent...kind of straight ahead and a little upwards. Not down as that is where the poo comes from. If she is egg bound your finger WILL find it. Usually at about the second knuckle, you won't have to push your pointer finger all the way in.

If you find an egg there I can tell you what to do next.

I'm have the some problem with one of my girls and there is an egg. Help what do I do next besides a warm bath and calcium.

Back
Top Bottom