Egg-bound chicken?

My apologies for the delay in giving an update. The good news is Rosie’s crop does seem to be emptying. She is just eating so much throughout the day that it gets very large. It’s odd that she has such a big appetite yet by her wings drooping, you can tell she’s not at 100 percent. I’m still keeping her separated in the garage coop at night and putting her out by herself in the sunshine during the day in a separate coop. If it wasn’t for the way she stands you really wouldn’t know there was anything wrong. I continue to feed her the regular food along with a few banana slices, lettuce and meal worms as a treat. I will continue posting updates on the sweet girl. Thank you for your advice and concern!
Glad to hear her crop is emptying!
Thank you so much on giving an update on Rosie. I hope she continues to make progress, she is getting the best of care!
I will look forward to the next update and more news about Rosie:)

Well, this morning‘s news is not good. In an effort to try to make her feel better, we gave her a warm Epson salt bath last night. Same routine and temp of the water as always. It worked so well in the past. This time, afterwards, she tucked her head and went to sleep. This morning, I found her in a tight ball (like a bowling ball) sitting but with her legs wider apart then usual. I’m afraid she’s passing away. Is there anything I can do that will make this more gentle for her? She’s already in the garage (with heat) coop. Although she had been eating it was still obvious she was not well and couldn’t be reunited with the others. And, in feeling her belly yesterday it felt very full and hard. I also felt her breastbone which seemed very prominently, which I had not remembered in the past. I really didn’t know what options I had to try to make her better. It seems we have tried everything. I do have vitamin B liquid I can try to give her but, at this point, thinking I just need to let her be. Feeling very sad.

Oh no! I'm so very sorry:hugs

It does sound like she is on her way out. It is so sad when they get to this point and it's hard to make the decision to let them go.

Do you have a friend, family member or neighbor that can put her out of her misery for you? It can be intimidating the first time to do it yourself, but I do go ahead and put mine down so they don't linger. There are different methods and each one has it's own pros/cons. I use the broomstick method, it is hands on, but quick.

Well, this morning‘s news is not good. In an effort to try to make her feel better, we gave her a warm Epson salt bath last night. Same routine and temp of the water as always. It worked so well in the past. This time, afterwards, she tucked her head and went to sleep. This morning, I found her in a tight ball (like a bowling ball) sitting but with her legs wider apart then usual. I’m afraid she’s passing away. Is there anything I can do that will make this more gentle for her? She’s already in the garage (with heat) coop. Although she had been eating it was still obvious she was not well and couldn’t be reunited with the others. And, in feeling her belly yesterday it felt very full and hard. I also felt her breastbone which seemed very prominently, which I had not remembered in the past. I really didn’t know what options I had to try to make her better. It seems we have tried everything. I do have vitamin B liquid I can try to give her but, at this point, thinking I just need to let her be. Feeling very sad.
I'm so sorry! :hugs

She passed away naturally within the last hour. Thank you for the support. It hurts to lose them. I think the warm Epsom salt bath last night took her down more quickly. But I also believe, it was a blessing because she had been holding on for many weeks and I know she wasn’t feeling well.

She passed away naturally within the last hour. Thank you for the support. It hurts to lose them. I think the warm Epsom salt bath last night took her down more quickly. But I also believe, it was a blessing because she had been holding on for many weeks and I know she wasn’t feeling well.
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :hugs
You did everything you could for her, she was well cared for and loved.

Thank you so much. You were a good friend and advisor through this time with Rosie ❤️. My only solace is that right up until yesterday she was still eating and going to the bathroom, normally, so she was relatively good up until the end. She probably had some sort of reproductive cancer, as you had originally suggested many weeks ago. She was not going to get better and I know by the stance she had taken these past weeks, that she was uncomfortable, and tired. I’m trying to focus on that. I did try everything and only had her best interest at heart. I hope I made the right decisions for Rosie. I’m going to miss communicating with you. Thank you for being there.

Thank you so much. You were a good friend and advisor through this time with Rosie ❤️. My only solace is that right up until yesterday she was still eating and going to the bathroom, normally, so she was relatively good up until the end. She probably had some sort of reproductive cancer, as you had originally suggested many weeks ago. She was not going to get better and I know by the stance she had taken these past weeks, that she was uncomfortable, and tired. I’m trying to focus on that. I did try everything and only had her best interest at heart. I hope I made the right decisions for Rosie. I’m going to miss communicating with you. Thank you for being there.
You are so very kind:hugs
You did everything you could for Rosie and I know you had her best interest at heart all this time.
It's always so sad and frustrating to lose them to something like this. I have had several in similar condition, it was heartbreaking losing them each time, but you have to accept that you did all you could and move on.

I do open my girls up, that does sound morbid, but it also gives me peace of mind that I did the right thing. Each time I have found what I already really knew, but my heart still had to see. Once you get over the first part, it can be not only education, but interesting as well. Makes you appreciate these sweet ladies even more once you start understanding how their little bodies work too.

You are so welcome. I enjoyed getting updates about Rosie and communicating with you as well.
I do hope the rest of your flock has a long and happy life.

I too would like to know what actually killed her but knowing absolutely nothing about this, it felt overwhelming for me to try to do a necropsy on her. Is it as simple process?

My daughter and I both talked about it. I wish there was someone here that could help us. Having that big question mark makes it additionally heavy.

Back
Top Bottom