Egg-bound chicken?

Pics

Georgiachick18

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2018
I have been raising chickens for four years and, fortunately, have never had a sick one. The day before yesterday I found one of our girls sitting down in the coop looking very weak. I immediately moved her to a separate cage in the garage to observe her. She begin eating and drinking so I thought, perhaps, it was a case of the other chickens bullying her to the point that she had not been unable to get to her food and water. But as I watched more throughout the day, she sat most of the time; her eyes looked very weak and she was having trouble keeping them open. When she was standing she seem to be a little hunched over. Now I think she could be egg-bound. Here’s my question: I felt inside of her vent (with Vasoline/glove, etc) and did not immediately feel anything—but off to the right side, it felt like there could be an egg there. I’m sorry to be such a novice here but when you’re feeling for the egg would it be directly in line with the vent or could it be off at a right angle? Not knowing what is going on I did give her an Epsom salt bath tonight trying to relax her—in case she is egg-bound. She is definitely not feeling well but did go to sleep standing up tonight vs. lying down. I appreciate any insights you can provide!

Did she have her feathers puffed up? that is what egg bound and broody hens do.
Did you feel around the lower abdomen of your hen? If she is egg bound it will feel full. Don't press too hard a broken egg can cause an infection called egg peritonitis. Moist heat can help release the egg so you can put a heat lamp too. Is her beak open? This can indicate stress.

If shes egg bound, a friend of mine saved one of my hens by putting her in a warm bath and massaging it out of her very gently over time.

Have you seen blood in her stool? If its not egg bound, she sounds like it could be coccidiosis from what you are describing. Might be worth the research, Ive had coccidiosis in my flock and they act just like your chicken but most times you will see some blood in their stool.

Hope she gets well soon

The day before yesterday
as I watched more throughout the day, she sat most of the time; her eyes looked very weak and she was having trouble keeping them open. When she was standing she seem to be a little hunched over. Now I think she could be egg-bound.
I felt inside of her vent (with Vasoline/glove, etc) and did not immediately feel anything—but off to the right side, it felt like there could be an egg there.
but when you’re feeling for the egg would it be directly in line with the vent or could it be off at a right angle?
She is definitely not feeling well but did go to sleep standing up tonight vs. lying down.
Welcome To BYC. I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

Is she able to poop?
What does the poop look like? Photos
If she is pooping, then she's not "egg bound".
When you feel for an egg, it would be in and slightly up. What you were feeling? Could be an egg, but it could also be something else like a tumor, it's hard to know.

Do you know when she last laid an egg?
Did you happen to notice if her abdomen (between her legs below the vent) is swollen/bloated or fluid filled? If you need to, go out and feel another hen or two to compare.
Since she's been like this for a couple of days(?) it's possible she may be having trouble passing a egg or she may have a reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, internal laying, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors.

I would not add to much heat if she is not able to get away from it. Ideally a sick chicken needs to be kept at around 75-80F. Warm soakings in epsom salts may help get things moving if she's having trouble passing an egg.

Do what you can to keep her hydrated. Let us know how she is.

She is able to poop though not as much as usual but that could be a result of not eating as much. After the warm bath last night she is not sitting she’s only standing. She doesn’t have her beak open looking stressed the only thing I notice is her eyes closing often as if she’s very tired. And, her feathers do seem to be puffed out. I’m wondering what it means now that she won’t sit down. Previously she was only sitting down. I don’t know when she last laid an egg because she’s usually with the flock. I will feel the other chickens so I can see if her abdomen feels different. You’re right, I wouldn’t know what full felt like. Thank you for your good comments and thoughts!

She is able to poop though not as much as usual but that could be a result of not eating as much. After the warm bath last night she is not sitting she’s only standing. She doesn’t have her beak open looking stressed the only thing I notice is her eyes closing often as if she’s very tired. And, her feathers do seem to be puffed out. I’m wondering what it means now that she won’t sit down. Previously she was only sitting down. I don’t know when she last laid an egg because she’s usually with the flock. I will feel the other chickens so I can see if her abdomen feels different. You’re right, I wouldn’t know what full felt like. Thank you for your good comments and thoughts!
Standing only she is very uncomfortable.
Let us know is you feel any bloat.

Getting her hydrated will be the first thing to try to do before you offer her any feed.
When you have time, a photo of her droppings may help.

Here’s a photo of her. Her feathers are more fluffed out and I did feel her abdomen and it feels more full than my other birds. I don’t know if after the bath the egg moved? Up until that time she was only laying down so it’s odd that there’s been a change in behavior since the Epsom salt bath last night. I only saw one very small poop this morning I’ll try to get a picture of it and post.

Attachments

• F5FA5F1D-3421-4785-A5BD-11439C80B4C7.jpeg
    F5FA5F1D-3421-4785-A5BD-11439C80B4C7.jpeg
    416.1 KB · Views: 28
Welcome To BYC. I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

Is she able to poop?
What does the poop look like? Photos
If she is pooping, then she's not "egg bound".
When you feel for an egg, it would be in and slightly up. What you were feeling? Could be an egg, but it could also be something else like a tumor, it's hard to know.

Do you know when she last laid an egg?
Did you happen to notice if her abdomen (between her legs below the vent) is swollen/bloated or fluid filled? If you need to, go out and feel another hen or two to compare.
Since she's been like this for a couple of days(?) it's possible she may be having trouble passing a egg or she may have a reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, internal laying, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors.

I would not add to much heat if she is not able to get away from it. Ideally a sick chicken needs to be kept at around 75-80F. Warm soakings in epsom salts may help get things moving if she's having trouble passing an egg.

Do what you can to keep her hydrated. Let us know how she is.

I didn’t mention this earlier but the first telltale sign for me was that her cone was very pale compared to the other chickens. And she wasn’t standing up. Her cone appears to be a little redder since she has been separated from the others —and eating for the 2 days. I wanted to mention that because it could be relevant.

She has gone to the bathroom twice since last night. Here are the two photos.

Attachments

• 36A4D846-FE49-4BC5-94FA-B533DDCFEEEA.jpeg
    36A4D846-FE49-4BC5-94FA-B533DDCFEEEA.jpeg
    737.4 KB · Views: 28
  • BFBE4810-2DD1-42FB-956D-E79997B26D19.jpeg
    BFBE4810-2DD1-42FB-956D-E79997B26D19.jpeg
    650.7 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom