Egg bound day 2 with two eggs

Melissaholmquist

Hatching
Apr 22, 2023
Hello,
I’ve read a lot of posts and looking for more guidance. I have an almost 3 year old bantam silkie hen on day 2 of being egg bound. Yesterday did numerous epsom salt baths, Vaseline, dark room, drinking eating well, no lethargy.
She has been eating and drinking well today. Continued baths, gave some scrambled egg with 1 Tums tab earlier today and tonight was given 0.2mL calcium gluconate orally. She weighs a little over a pound.
Egg was felt externally and internally, and tonight I could feel a second egg on external palpation. She is hunching over, tail up and vent pulsing, I’m becoming worried and wondering on subsequent calcium gluconate dosing. She’s the “top dog” of our little flock and one of the originals. It would be a huge loss.
Of note, We had 2 partially soft eggs in coop this week so I am wondering if they may have been hers. She has never had laying issues before.
Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Whenever I have a hen with eggshell issues, I push extra highly absorption rate calcium on her daily.
I would continue to give your hen calcium for a full week after she lays her egg and starts posturing normally.

Can you feel an egg inside the vent by inserting a finger? I would get human calcium citrate with vitamin d3, and give her 300-400mg daily for the next week. Sometimes the egg will go in reverse and out into the abdomen. That might also be felt from the outside.

Can you feel an egg inside the vent by inserting a finger? I would get human calcium citrate with vitamin d3, and give her 300-400mg daily for the next week. Sometimes the egg will go in reverse and out into the abdomen. That might also be felt from the outside.

I can feel the egg internally and externally. I have given her calcium gluconate yesterday. Is calcium citrate stronger? And do you do repeat doses daily?

Back
Top Bottom