Egg-bound, dropped egg still bad

kristaschics15

Songster
Apr 3, 2015
Claxton, Ga
I had one of my young girls, 24 weeks, go egg bound on her first egg. I found her this morning in the corner of the coop when I let them out. I brought her inside put her in the tub and soaked her in an Epsom bath. Nothing happened so I messaged her vent with oil. I could feel the egg then. I did this several times throughout the day and she finally released the egg. I put her in another Epsom salt bath to help ease her vent because it's very swollen and still "winking". I finally had to get her out myself she seemed totally happy in there but knew she needed to come out. I gave her some Powerade using a syringe. She's still very lethargic and seems miserable. She's now resting on a bed of towels in the bathtub now. Anything else I can do for her??
1f61e.png

Last edited:
She ate a good bit of her scrambled egg which I crushed a tums with. She's also drinking water with some apple cider vin in it. She's in my guest bathroom and other than a night light it's dark. She'll stand up but then lay right back down.

She ate a good bit of her scrambled egg which I crushed a tums with. She's also drinking water with some apple cider vin in it. She's in my guest bathroom and other than a night light it's dark. She'll stand up but then lay right back down.

How does her abdomen feel - normal, swollen, etc.?
Try giving her a few more soaks in epsom salt bath and give a gentle massage.
She may have another egg on the way and is having a hard time. You can offer more calcium if need be, won't hurt her. Make sure she is drinking, they need plenty of fluid to get that egg going as well.
Is she pooping at all?

Let us know how she's doing.

She is pooping. Her abdomen feels normal right now. She's drinking good it seems, there is calcium in the water. She's soaking now. I'll keep doing this and check for another egg. I wondered about that if that was possible or not.

Last edited:
It does not appear to be another egg behind it. I'm not an expert though. She is alert and talkative when I go in there but she's not moving much at all. If I pick her up and set her down she'll stand for a moment and take a couple steps then lay back down and not move unless I move her. Shes pooping and she's drinking good. Eating not so much. Honestly her vent looks rough. Very swollen. Do I just keep going on as I am?

It does not appear to be another egg behind it. I'm not an expert though. She is alert and talkative when I go in there but she's not moving much at all. If I pick her up and set her down she'll stand for a moment and take a couple steps then lay back down and not move unless I move her. Shes pooping and she's drinking good. Eating not so much. Honestly her vent looks rough. Very swollen. Do I just keep going on as I am?

Is it the vent itself that is swollen or is it around and underneath?
When she stands - is it "odd" or like a penguin?
Wandering if she laid internally - this would be where an egg and/or parts of an egg traveled up the oviduct and dropped into the abdominal cavity. This can cause an infection.
If you have a vet that will see her, they can sometimes take an xray to see if there is an egg in the oviduct or if she has fluid in the abdomen. Since she is not perking up, that is a possibility.

Other possibilities could be something like Marek's. Is she laying down with her legs splayed out at all?

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx

There is no swelling at all. Very normal feeling belly and around the vent. I don't feel anything abnormal on her at all. I even just went and checked again to make sure I wasn't wrong. Here is a picture of her vent. It actually looks much better than yesterday. She is walking like a penguin not splayed legged at all. I hope I'm giving enough description here.

There is no swelling at all. Very normal feeling belly and around the vent. I don't feel anything abnormal on her at all. I even just went and checked again to make sure I wasn't wrong. Here is a picture of her vent. It actually looks much better than yesterday. She is walking like a penguin not splayed legged at all. I hope I'm giving enough description here.

Is the vent distended a bit like a partial prolapse?
Is that poo or discharge from the vent?
If it looks/feels inflamed you can apply some hemorrhoid cream or honey to the vent to help with any swelling.
Walking like a penguin can be a sign of egg bound (egg stuck) or something like Peritonitis (internal laying) or Salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct).
Is the poo any "odd color" like yellow egg yolk?

I hesitate to recommend antibiotics, but if she doesn't improve you may want to give it a try. There is limited success in treating internal laying/repro issues with antibiotics, but as a last resort it may be something to think about. You could try Tetracycline, but you may want to see if your vet can get something better/different or someone else may know a better one to try.

Back
Top Bottom