Egg bound??? Emergency

duckins

Songster
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Gladys, Va
I have a year and half old runner who had a shell hanging from her this pm I waited to see if nature would take course and nothing 2 hrs later so I slowly pulled from her and her privates seemed to be on the outside of her if this makes sense I set her down and she began to have pulses her whole body not sure what to do next? Any help please thanks.

It could be a prolapse.

I would get her into a tub of lukewarm water deep enough to float in and see if she can get rid of the broken egg and possibly soothe the tissue.

A vet who knows how to handle these things would be best, I understand we don't always have one available.

When my pet snake had a prolapse, I was told to lube the area with KY jelly (available at drugstores) and gently, carefully reinsert the tissue with something smooth like a rectal thermometer. The concern is that the tissue could come back out. Vets sometimes sew a couple of special stitches on either side of the vent to keep it in. After that, the concern is to keep her from laying till she is healed, and keeping her in the dark is recommended.

Last year Sechs had a prolapse. I took her to the vet, they removed the soft egg she was trying to pass and put in three stitches. Two on one side, one on the other. After a week, I removed one stitch in case she laid, and kept her in the dark. She found a few eggs and started sitting on them. I let her. She sat for two months, taking only a morning and evening potty and exercise break. She seems fine now. Oh, the other two stitches were removed a few weeks after the first one.

Last edited:
It could be a prolapse.

I would get her into a tub of lukewarm water deep enough to float in and see if she can get rid of the broken egg and possibly soothe the tissue.

A vet who knows how to handle these things would be best, I understand we don't always have one available.
X2. Was going to mention prolapse.

My vet told me that increasing calcium really helps with this kind of thing.

Dandelion greens, free choice oyster shell and calcium gluconate all have calcium, a little in the greens the most in the Ca gluconate.

Back
Top Bottom