egg bound help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunket77, Feb 4, 2012.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I have a hen going on 3 years old (buff orp) just lays there and won't get up not interested in eating or drinking. My DH has been taking care of the chickens since I am pregnant and have terrible morning sickness I can't handle the smells outside. I am not sure how long she has been like this he brought her in this morning and didn't notice her doing this yesterday. But I am almost positive she is eggbound, I can feel the loose egg in her abdomen. I think she is past the point of trying to push anymore, she won't even try. She just lays there and won't move. I feel like she has given up, I gave her a warm bath and have her in the bathroom keeping warm.
    I have to leave just now (bad timing!) I am hoping she will be ok until I get back, any help would so great! thanks!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Keeping her warm should be helpful. In addition to the warm bath, I have read that a heat lamp or a heating pad can also help relax the muscles. Gentle downward massaging is said to help as well. If she decides to push again, a bit of vegetable oil to lube her vent could help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by