Egg bound hen not doing well!

FarmInProgress

Chirping
Jan 25, 2020
We have a hen that is a year old and is egg bound šŸ˜­.... I have been putting her in warm water with epson salt since yesterday and she isnā€™t looking good. Also what doesnā€™t help is itā€™s my 8 year old brothers chicken that he adores! Please help!

Are you feeling an egg inside the vent?
Has she been able to poop?
Any photos you wish to share?

I would try to get her hydrated. If she's not doing well and is lethargic, putting her in water may stress her more. Place her on a towel covered heating pad (low setting).

I'm sorry she's not doing well.

I just went through this a few weeks ago. I've heard about putting KY in her vent, but I didn't have any so I used Vasoline- just a little bit and that did it. My girl's egg was pretty high up, but a couple of hours after I did this, she perked up some, but I was still concerned that she wouldn't make it through the night. I just hoped for the best.
But the next morning she was scratching and pecking and there was an egg next to her. That's how I knew she was egg bound.

Last edited:
Hi and thank yā€™all for replying, yes she can can poop. And I am going to try to put Vaseline on her vent when I get home.

Hi and thank yā€™all for replying, yes she can can poop. And I am going to try to put Vaseline on her vent when I get home.
Wait, this happened on Thursday? It's now Sunday. If she were "egg bound" she would have likely expired within 24-48hrs.

She's pooping.

Tell us more about the hen, we need more information. Have you actually felt inside the vent for an egg?
What symptoms is she exhibiting?

You may have a hen that is having reproductive issues like Peritonitis, cancer, etc. instead of her being "egg bound".

Photos of the poop and of the hen may help.

Do what you can to get her hydrated.

I havenā€™t felt inside her vent, she has normal poop but it does make a liquid sound when she poos....he symptoms are slow moving, not laying, tail down and she eats but not much...

I havenā€™t felt inside her vent, she has normal poop but it does make a liquid sound when she poos....he symptoms are slow moving, not laying, tail down and she eats but not much...
How long has it been since she's laid an egg?

How long have you had the hen?

I would still feel inside the vent about 1-2" just to make sure there is no egg or mass that needs to be expelled, but she is pooping normally, so likely there's not an egg.
It's possible she may have a lash egg (Salpingitis) or soft shelled egg she needs to expel, but it's been a few days...
With the symptoms you describe, I would lean toward reproductive issues mentioned previously. Sometimes all you can do is offer supportive care.

I would keep her hydrated, see if she will eat. Check to make sure her crop is empty in the mornings. Look her over well for lice/mites, check her legs/feet for any issues like sores (Bumblefoot) or Scaly Leg Mites and consider getting a fecal float to check for worms.
Sadly - none of these measures will cure reproductive problems, but they are part of supportive care and trying to make the hen comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom