Egg bound hen with damaged vent

She's in my bathroom. I can't get it to 85. I have space heat with a wood stove. She's starting to bleed.
View attachment 2510359
The egg is right there. The tissue can't stretch to allow it to pass. I'm debating breaking the end of the egg and draining it and letting her crush it and then helping her pull it out with the membrane. I know that that's risky. But I don't think she's going to get this out without some drastic measures.
Risky, but it could possibly work. My only fears would be that some of the egg contents leak inside of her, or you lose it inside of her if she stops pushing.

And do you know how to tube?
No. And I don't have the supplies.
She's not sick. She's in pain. This tissue is tearing I think. The elasticity of her vent isn't recovered as she hasn't laid since late fall.
This didn't start until some time after 7:30 when she tried to lay. I saw her wandering around the run at 9. Brought her in at 11:40.

DL I think at this point, remove the egg any way you can. Ideally syringing some of the contents out through a hole, but if you don't have the supplies, then break and remove. She's not in good shape. After it's out, then deal with possibility of contents leaking into the oviduct with antibiotics.

DL I think at this point, remove the egg any way you can. Ideally syringing some of the contents out through a hole, but if you don't have the supplies, then break and remove. She's not in good shape. After it's out, then deal with possibility of contents leaking into the oviduct with antibiotics.
Sounds like a solid plan. I think this is your best route, DL.

Back
Top Bottom