Egg bound hen

dancingponygirl

Hatching
Sep 5, 2017
I have a hen who I believe is egg bound. Been soaking her in warm water and massaging, giving her calcium (Tums) and a bit of mineral oil. Put Preparation H on the area. The mass, which looks and feels like a egg--it is fairly hard and egg shaped ---appears to be covered by a red/pink membrane that looks like it is preventing her from expelling it. She started acting strange Friday night (9/1) with some clucking and ruffled feathers but was out with the flock and seemed just a bit off until Sunday. Sunday night I noticed she was swollen and straining to pass so I put her in a little isolation part we have in our coop so she wuld be with her fruiends but not bothered by them . I began soaking her Monday, contnuing today (Tuesday). Does anyone know what this red membrane is? And what to do about it? She is active, fairly alert, drinking water, not eating.

Hi @dancingponygirl :frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of her vent, the swelling, etc.?
Can you take her to a vet for any examination or xray?
Is she pooping?

The red membrane could be the oviduct or intestines - it depends on what you're looking at - having a vet xray or examine her to determine whether the egg/mass is in the oviduct or abdomen would be a very good idea.

Without seeing or feeling it - I'm inclined to think that you are feeling an egg or mass that has been laid internally (in the abdomen) - but that's just a guess on my part. If she has been like this since Friday (5days?) then she is not "egg bound" - being egg bound is when they cannot pass an egg that is in the oviduct - they will become lethargic and distressed, not poop and will decline/most likely die within 24-48hours.

Hi @dancingponygirl :frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of her vent, the swelling, etc.?
Can you take her to a vet for any examination or xray?
Is she pooping?

The red membrane could be the oviduct or intestines - it depends on what you're looking at - having a vet xray or examine her to determine whether the egg/mass is in the oviduct or abdomen would be a very good idea.

Without seeing or feeling it - I'm inclined to think that you are feeling an egg or mass that has been laid internally (in the abdomen) - but that's just a guess on my part. If she has been like this since Friday (5days?) then she is not "egg bound" - being egg bound is when they cannot pass an egg that is in the oviduct - they will become lethargic and distressed, not poop and will decline/most likely die within 24-48hours.
I will see if I can post some photos--no smart phone. She is not really pooping but there is some kind of viscous liquid coming out of her--maybe poop? And there is ocasionally some yellow stuff that looks like egg yolk wrapped around the outside (?) of the mass--it comes off when I soak her. I do not know of any vet near me that does chickens--most have declined in the past when I call except for once when one of my hens was attacked by a dog. They don't seem to know anything about hens and/or are unwilling to try. Is there any chance this will resolve itself with a good outcome? Should I continue massaging to try and get her to expel it? The mass is really almost completely outside of her body and she is pushing to try to get rid of it. Let me see about some photos. Thank you for your response. I am unsure what to do and I feel really bad for her. She is not an old hen--only three.

Oh dear -- It sounds like she may be trying to push out a lash egg? I'm just not sure.

Do your best to keep her hydrated - she needs water or water with vitamins mixed in - the calcium can help with contractions - but usually only give that once day. If the soaking seems to help, then do that - or you can put her in a steamed up bathroom.

Oh dear -- It sounds like she may be trying to push out a lash egg? I'm just not sure.

Do your best to keep her hydrated - she needs water or water with vitamins mixed in - the calcium can help with contractions - but usually only give that once day. If the soaking seems to help, then do that - or you can put her in a steamed up bathroom.
Actually, I figured out that she has a prolapsed vent--going to the vet ( yes--I managed to find one who would see her!) at noon today. I know the long term prognosis is not good for her but we will at least give it a try.

Ok.

So she didn't have anything stuck - she just has a prolapse?

I'm glad you are seeking vet care. If it's just sticking out some - a lot of times it can be "fixed" with soaking, hemorrhoid cream and waiting for swollen tissue to go down so it can be pushed back in. If the tissue has dried out or become necrotic - then you may have more difficulties.
Hope all goes well for you - keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom