Egg bound hen?

HorseGirlAbby

🌷 Welcome spring! 🌷
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
May 14, 2021
Eastern WA
My three-year-old Delaware hen hasn't been doing well recently. I found her in the nesting box yesterday morning just standing there, not making any noise, which isn't at all normal. I isolated her from the others, and she either lays down or limps around a bit. She hasn't laid an egg, but I've seen her straining a little. She passed some whitish liquid a few times, and pooped last night. I'm worried the egg might have broken inside of her. If it has, is there anything I can do? She's like a pet, and I don't want to lose her.

My three-year-old Delaware hen hasn't been doing well recently. I found her in the nesting box yesterday morning just standing there, not making any noise, which isn't at all normal. I isolated her from the others, and she either lays down or limps around a bit. She hasn't laid an egg, but I've seen her straining a little. She passed some whitish liquid a few times, and pooped last night. I'm worried the egg might have broken inside of her. If it has, is there anything I can do? She's like a pet, and I don't want to lose her.
I’m so sorry about your hen! I’ve never dealt with an egg bound hen, but from doing some research it sounds as if she is. I know people usually will soak their hen in a bath/pool of warm water with Epsom salt or just plain water. You’ll want to keep her in there for about 20 mins while gently rubbing her abdomen. I’ll be praying for your hen :hugs

I’m so sorry about your hen! I’ve never dealt with an egg bound hen, but from doing some research it sounds as if she is. I know people usually will soak their hen in a bath/pool of warm water with Epsom salt or just plain water. You’ll want to keep her in there for about 20 mins while gently rubbing her abdomen. I’ll be praying for your hen :hugs
I've heard of the epsom salt bath, but am hesitant to do it because she's really scared of water, and I don't think it'll help her relax. I just went out to check on her, and she's doing pretty much the same, though she did talk a little, which she hasn't done at all. Here's a few pictures. Her comb is still very red, and her abdomen feels right, but it's very tender and she doesn't want me to touch it. She's holding her wings out because it's 85 here.
IMG_8552.JPG
IMG_8551.JPG

I've heard of the epsom salt bath, but am hesitant to do it because she's really scared of water, and I don't think it'll help her relax. I just went out to check on her, and she's doing pretty much the same, though she did talk a little, which she hasn't done at all. Here's a few pictures. Her comb is still very red, and her abdomen feels right, but it's very tender and she doesn't want me to touch it. She's holding her wings out because it's 85 here.
View attachment 2669927View attachment 2669930
What a cutie! If she isn’t comfortable in water, then I would just monitor her and check on her often and maybe give her some electrolytes or probiotics. She might or might not be egg bound, but again just keep an eye on her and be sure to update us on anything new!:)

What a cutie! If she isn’t comfortable in water, then I would just monitor her and check on her often and maybe give her some electrolytes or probiotics. She might or might not be egg bound, but again just keep an eye on her and be sure to update us on anything new!:)
Thank you! We have some chick probiotics, and I'll try giving her some of those.

Thank you! We have some chick probiotics, and I'll try giving her some of those.
Update on Dover the Delaware! She's doing a lot better; scratching around a little, eating and drinking. She thought the probiotics tasted weird, but she still drank. She never laid an egg, and is still a bit lethargic, but acting better. Thank you for your help!

It sounds like she may be experiencing a reproductive disorder or infection. You can insert a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to feel for a stuck egg. Reproductive problems, such as salpingitis where they have infection or may lay lash egg material internally or get stuck in the oviduct can look similar to being egg bound. Cancer, egg yolk peritonitis, ascites (water belly,) and salpingitis are all common in hens. Those may strike in hens over 2 or 3, but have occured in younger birds. Is her lower belly down between her legs enlarged or seem swollen compared to the other hens? Always keep plain water available if using electrolytes or other things in the water. Vitamins might be helpful. Some wet feed mixed daily, and a little cooked egg might make her eat better.

It sounds like she may be experiencing a reproductive disorder or infection. You can insert a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to feel for a stuck egg. Reproductive problems, such as salpingitis where they have infection or may lay lash egg material internally or get stuck in the oviduct can look similar to being egg bound. Cancer, egg yolk peritonitis, ascites (water belly,) and salpingitis are all common in hens. Those may strike in hens over 2 or 3, but have occured in younger birds. Is her lower belly down between her legs enlarged or seem swollen compared to the other hens? Always keep plain water available if using electrolytes or other things in the water. Vitamins might be helpful. Some wet feed mixed daily, and a little cooked egg might make her eat better.
Her lower belly looks and feels completely normal, and she's eating and drinking well. She's not straining to lay an egg, but the egg might have broken inside her and she just expelled it. She just laid an egg a few days ago, so I don't think she's laying internally.

Dover seems like she's better! I put her back out with the other chickens last night, and she got on the roost no problem, and is back to bossing the other hens around. I guess I won't know if she's fully recovered until she lays another egg...

Back
Top Bottom