Egg Bound Hen

kiddobear39

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
Poland, New York
Hello again well I'm not sure if she is egg bound she is eating like all the other hen I have and drinking watering and acting like the other the only thing that is different is that she has not laid an egg in about a week and that is not like her cause she is alway the one to lay her egg so if anyone can help me and maybe tell on thing I can do to her to see if she is egg bound I would like that thank you !!!
D.gif

Hello again well I'm not sure if she is egg bound she is eating like all the other hen I have and drinking watering and acting like the other the only thing that is different is that she has not laid an egg in about a week and that is not like her cause she is alway the one to lay her egg so if anyone can help me and maybe tell on thing I can do to her to see if she is egg bound I would like that thank you !!!:cd
You would know if she was egg bound. They don't poop and act really sick.

It may be the daylight changing. How old is she?

You would know if she was egg bound. They don't poop and act really sick.
It may be the daylight changing. How old is she?
she is still pooping and she is a year old she been laying very well this is the first time she is still roosting at night and she is still keeping up with all the other she still eating bread when I give bread to all the other

she is a year old and I don't think she is molting cause noner of the other are and she still has all her feather
Have you been noticing feathers lying around?

And by a year old, was she a year old in spring, or...?

Because a year old hen (if hatched in spring 2011) should be molting right around now. Sometimes they molt very slowly.

Have you been noticing feathers lying around?
And by a year old, was she a year old in spring, or...?
Because a year old hen (if hatched in spring 2011) should be molting right around now. Sometimes they molt very slowly.
she was a year old last month and I really have not notice any feather around I did like 3 month ago and none of the other hen or pullet are molting

she was a year old last month and I really have not notice any feather around I did like 3 month ago and none of the other hen or pullet are molting
Okay.. So she should be going through a molt sometime this fall. It's usually the second fall that they go through their adult molt. I am not sure if she is just going through a light one now or not.

Is there any way she is hiding her nest? Do you free range? Could you have an egg eater?

There could be parasites as well.

Lack of sunlight shouldn't put her off laying completely, just slow her down. Can you tell which eggs are hers? Maybe everyone is slowing down and she is laying, but you don't notice, as the egg # a day has dropped.

She could be laying internally. That is not something you want to consider unless everything else has been cleared of suspicion. The internal laying is not treatable, and they typically don't make it.

Stress could also cause cease of laying. Have you added new birds? Is there a rooster harassing her?

Okay.. So she should be going through a molt sometime this fall. It's usually the second fall that they go through their adult molt. I am not sure if she is just going through a light one now or not.
Is there any way she is hiding her nest? Do you free range? Could you have an egg eater?
There could be parasites as well.
Lack of sunlight shouldn't put her off laying completely, just slow her down. Can you tell which eggs are hers? Maybe everyone is slowing down and she is laying, but you don't notice, as the egg # a day has dropped.
She could be laying internally. That is not something you want to consider unless everything else has been cleared of suspicion. The internal laying is not treatable, and they typically don't make it.
Stress could also cause cease of laying. Have you added new birds? Is there a rooster harassing her?
I think she is going throught molting cause I am finding her feather everywheres now after you had asked me about ther feathers, and I know she is not laying cause right now she is my olnly white egg layer, and I have added new pullets but it makealmost 4 months they have been together. But I think it's the molting can it be she is the only one that is molting right now cause she is acting normal she is eating pooping, drinking and at night she roost so I think if sahe was egg bound she would not do so of those thing right well if you can help me I would appericate it thank you

i have a pullet that started laying at the end of july.on saturday after i got in from work.i went down to the coop and she was sitting at the run door.she always paces and is very verbal just waiting to get in the tractor.she was walking slow showed no interest at all in loading up with the rest of her flock.show no interest in food.and she was hump up as though she was in pain.she had laid a soft egg.i thought she was egg bound.i put her in a warm epsom salt bath and massage her abdomon.i did this for 10 to 15 miutes.dryed her off.and put her in with her flock mates.she ate and acted fine.she has not layed an egg since last saturday.she is eating and drinking.and seems ok.

Back
Top Bottom