Egg bound or something else? *poop pic*

Cchurchill91

Chirping
Feb 3, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I’m not sure what’s going on with two of my Buff hens. They’re just over a year old. I thought that they were broody and sitting on eggs because whenever I checked on them they were both sitting in the same boxes. However, one of them got up yesterday and I noticed there was no eggs beneath her. She was very pale and would only walk a short distance before sitting back down. I decided to take a look under my other hen who looks much healthier and has been out and about since but again, no egg. I brought the noticeably sick hen in my house last night and gave her a warm epsom salt bath. She enjoyed it and wanted to stay in there for about half an hour. She started to pant by the end and was contracting her vent so I thought for sure she would pass an egg but just had some wet poop. I kept her inside over night so she wouldn’t get cold being wet outside and noticed she had a strange looking poop this morning. I read that it’s unlikely for chickens to poop while they’re egg bound so I’m unsure of what’s going on. They eat layer feed and always have access to oyster shell and layer grit. I do give them kitchen scraps and let them free range so it’s possible they haven’t been getting the proper amount of calcium? Anyways she looks better this morning and has some colour to her comb. She’s out foraging with the others this morning as if nothings wrong but the other hen is still sitting in her nest. I’m monitoring the situation closely but hoping someone can give me some tips on what I should be doing for them! Thank you.

Attachments

• F4B54B15-B8D5-49FF-B05F-75760C6C36B6.jpeg
    F4B54B15-B8D5-49FF-B05F-75760C6C36B6.jpeg
    441.3 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom