Egg Bound or Something Else

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GaudeGals, Mar 29, 2017.

1. GaudeGals

GaudeGals Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    We have a 1 yr old Black Australorp (Lola) that we noticed was acting strange last night. When the girls were going to bed she didn't get on the roost with everyone else, she laid on the coop floor. We decided to separate her at that point and put her in our "hospital coop". When I picked her up I felt a bulge near her tail underneath her. But it was kind of squishy, not hard. We put her in the hospital with food and water and came back to check on her an hour or so later. She had a liquidy pasty clear/white/yello poop on the floor and down her backside.

We thought she might be egg bound. This would be our first experience with any illness. This is the first year we have had chickens and so far everything has been great! I tried to do a cloacial exam but I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. I could get to my middle knuckle (I have short fingers) but not any further and I didn't feel anything "hard". But she was getting very agitated and I didn't try anymore. So we gave her a bath in warm water and epsom salt and crushed a Tum's Tablet and dropper fed it to her. We put some oyster shell in our hand and she ate a piece or 2. She was alert and drank water in the bath and ate some feed as well. She soaked for 20 minutes and then we blow dried her off (she really seemed to like that) We put her back in the hospital coop for the night.

This morning I checked on her and there is even more of the liquidy pasty clear/white/yellow poop and some regular looking poop on the floor. When I opened the door she stood right up and went to coop door to be let out but I didn't let her out. I checked her abdomen and it is still bulging but it's not "hard". For now she is still there with food and water. I plan on giving her another bath at Lunch.

I couldn't tell you when the last time she laid an egg was, we have 19 girls and unless it's one of the colored eggs it's hard to know who laid what.

I will try to post some pictures of her and the poop?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I read the forums and I think I'm doing everything that was suggested. I don't know what else to do. Or maybe I'm misreading the signs and it is something else not Egg Bound.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would worry that she might have a reproductive problem, such as internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. It would be best to keep an eye on her, and make sure that she is eating and drinking well. Chopped egg is a good treat, and you can crush the shell for some extra calcium. So many illnesses can look similar, so perhaps get some fresh droppings checked by your vet for cocci and worms.

3. GaudeGals

GaudeGals Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    I have checked on her and taken some pictures. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. GaudeGals

GaudeGals Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    Her abdomen is still enlarged and while she did go over and pick thru the greens I put in. But she wasn't interested in eating any. Last night she was eagerly eating and drinking. She wants to get out of the coop but I don't know if that is a good idea.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try some chopped egg or watery chicken feed in a bowl. She is young for a reproductive problem, but it does happen. A vet may help to diagnose her, but they can do a fecal float without seeing her. The runny poop could possibly be egg material. Here is some reading for you:
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
    http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx

6. GaudeGals

GaudeGals Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    revised

7. GaudeGals

GaudeGals Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    UPDATE

I took Lola to the vet this afternoon. He said she is not egg bound. He gave her Baytril Injection and sent 4 more home with me. He said there was no way of knowing the source of the infection without doing a post mortum. (I pray that isn't necessary) He said it is very possible that she has peritonitis but no way to tell for sure. He believed her only hope was antibiotics. He said it is still possible that she will not make it. But I have done everything I can and I hope she pulls through! We are to keep her in the "hospital coop" for 30 days.

Here is a rather distasteful question. All of our chickens have been raised organically up to this point. Now that I have chosen to give her antibiotics, will she never be allowed to be part of our egg laying flock?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is not distasteful at all. I would probably not use her eggs anymore, since Baytril is not for use in birds tended for eggs or meat. I am glad that your vet treated her, since early treatment with a good antibiotic like Baytril may help her initially. It may come back. Unfortunately, reproductive problems are very common in backyard flocks.

9. GaudeGals

GaudeGals Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    Was the only "organic" decision to let her die? Somehow that doesn't seem fair. What other options did I have?

I asked the vet when I was there with her, I told him that up to that point, she had been raised organically. He said "if I treat her like an organic chicken, she will die. So I am going to treat her because it is the right thing to do." It made me feel horrible for even mentioning it.

10. GaudeGals

GaudeGals Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    BTW, Thank you SO much for all your advice you have given me. She would probably not have made it this far, if not for your responses. So, thank you...thank you...thank you Eggcesive!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by