Egg bound or something else?

saxet

Songster
Jun 2, 2010
TX
Hello all. Longtime member here, usually just reading and searching for info.
I have a (4 year old?) leghorn that I think may be egg bound. Penguin waddle and all. But her abdomen is totally bloated as well.
I did the epsom salt bath, first time when I spotted it Tuesday. She still waddles, still looks positively pregnant, pooped but nothing else. I could not find fish mox (of course, everyone is out) so tried some doxycycline that I had left over from my dog and she is still alive. Appetite is back, a bit more lively but still that horrible abdomen.
Is this something else?
Any advice is appreciated.

I have a Red Sexlink that did the same thing a few months back. The advice I got was to put her down because it was most likely egg yoke peritonitis. I did not put her down instead gave her several warm baths and some oily canned fish. She loves pink salmon. Added gator aid and Rooster Booster to her water and kept her quiet for a few days. I do believe that it was EYP but it can be managed. If you have already taken the step to check for a stuck egg. Do be careful with cycline family antibiotics. It could transfer to the egg and trigger an allergic reaction in someone who eats it. Best of luck to you and you girls.

I have a Red Sexlink that did the same thing a few months back. The advice I got was to put her down because it was most likely egg yoke peritonitis. I did not put her down instead gave her several warm baths and some oily canned fish. She loves pink salmon. Added gator aid and Rooster Booster to her water and kept her quiet for a few days. I do believe that it was EYP but it can be managed. If you have already taken the step to check for a stuck egg. Do be careful with cycline family antibiotics. It could transfer to the egg and trigger an allergic reaction in someone who eats it. Best of luck to you and you girls.
That is very helpful Kevin!
What steps (to check for a stuck egg) I worry that I would break the egg (but that may be a moot point?) I am not worried at this point about eating her eggs. Let's get her to survive first and (then worry about disposing a few weeks of eggs should she make it past this. Surely that would suffice?) Going to look up EYP. I kept expecting to find her dead, but with her appetite back, I can't quite bring myself to put her down, so I will keep trying with your helpful tips.

The check for a stuck egg you need to lube up a gloved finger and feel inside for the egg. If she was bound she would have died by now. It could not hurt to look anyway. I is gross but it will give you the answers you need.

I have a (4 year old?) leghorn that I think may be egg bound. Penguin waddle and all. But her abdomen is totally bloated as well.
I did the epsom salt bath, first time when I spotted it Tuesday. She still waddles, still looks positively pregnant, pooped but nothing else.
Appetite is back, a bit more lively but still that horrible abdomen.
What steps (to check for a stuck egg) I worry that I would break the egg
You would need to feel inside the vent for egg to check for egg binding.

Since you noticed this on Tuesday and it's now Friday and she's pooping - likely she's not egg bound or an egg/material is not far enough down in the oviduct to block to cloaca.
4 years old and the symptoms you describe - I would suspect a reproductive disorder.
Could be EYP, Salpingitis, Internal Laying, Cancer or several other reproductive problems laying hens commonly have.
An antibiotic may help with inflammation and make her feel better. If the abdomen is fluid filled (symptom Ascites) that can sometimes be drained to give them relief as well.
Sadly, reproductive disorders can't be cured, but sometimes you can manage symptoms.

I agree with @Wyorp Rock in that at her age, a reproductive disorder is more likely than egg binding. When I lose a hen at 2 or older, I will do a necropsy to look for a possible cause of death. Reproductive disorders are the most common cause of death, an crop problems secondary to that are the second mkzt common. You can get an antibiotic by seeing a vet, or by checking online at pigeon sites. Enrofloxacin 10% liquid is very good, or Fish Mox which sometimes is available online:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

I thank all of you for your input!
Incredibly, the hen is still around. Thanks to your help here, and good old google, I can almost certainly say that all of you are correct and that I am dealing with EYP. I am doing my best, but the hen is still in rough shape and I fear that it is losing battle. Just got some fish mox. Would you recommend I switch to that instead of doxy?

The doxycycline can treat mycoplasma, E.coli, pseudomonas, and other bacteria which makes it good to use for chicken reproductive infections. So I would probably use it and hold onto the FishMox for future problems. Antibiotics may or may not help, but might extend her life. The earlier they are used in salpingitis or EYP, the better the chances.

Back
Top Bottom