Egg bound? Or something else?

She's a tough little bird.

Today I let her have free reign to the garden because I thought it might be her last day. To my surprise, the little hunter kept finding worm after worm... She didn't get tired mid-day, and just kept hunting. She also was not as thirsty.

So we'll keep monitoring. I just want her to have a good quality of life.

The crop is emptying.

Just sharing incase it benefits any Canadians but vetster.com was a good telemedicine option and they can prescribe, but it takes a couple of days.

The vet thinks the issue is the mass(there is something that feels like an egg in her abdomen, but is a little more irregular, and not something she is trying to pass). Unfortunately, she does not think very much can be done. It may be a tumour or internal laying. It may also also salpingitis, but with no lash egg the vet thought that was less likely with her age. She didn't think antibiotics would help, or that her quality of life will improve. She was starting to eat MondayTuesday, but since has not been very interested. The vet suggested we put her down which is heartbreaking, but I do not want her to suffer or spend too much time in distress. She has always been the underdog but pulled through, so this is really hard.

She's a tough little bird.

Today I let her have free reign to the garden because I thought it might be her last day. To my surprise, the little hunter kept finding worm after worm... She didn't get tired mid-day, and just kept hunting. She also was not as thirsty.

So we'll keep monitoring. I just want her to have a good quality of life.
They can surprise you at times!
I'd let her keep on chickening and see how it goes:)

They can surprise you at times!
I'd let her keep on chickening and see how it goes:)
She is a very spirited! A fighter. She found more worms today. :)

She is very hunting oriented, and isn't very interested in any food that's not worm-like. I tried soldier fly larvae, eggs, tomatoes, grapes, and yogurt and she just isn't interested. She is very interested in hunting though, and so I helped her dig worms in the yard today (she ate 10 that I saw today, but probably more). I tried to see if she would eat noodles too, and she did. Also some grasses. She's still really tired at the end of the day, and drinking quite a bit, but much better than a week ago. We'll just take it day by day. I added a little apple cider viegar to her water but crop seems okay.

I read to get more worms, you just need to flatten card board on the soil(and add water), so I have a few places where I added some in hopes for tomorrow.

You can also buy her live meal worms at the petsmart at Uptown market, they sell them for reptiles. It’s been very hard to find garden worms with all the dry weather lately. We should have some Bone Dust Tuesday and Wednesday evening from the saw as well if you would like some?

Kristen

You can also buy her live meal worms at the petsmart at Uptown market, they sell them for reptiles. It’s been very hard to find garden worms with all the dry weather lately. We should have some Bone Dust Tuesday and Wednesday evening from the saw as well if you would like some?

Kristen
Hello! :).

That's a good tip for sure about Uptown!

She's still in her own garden run. I've been having good luck getting her to eat egg yolks, and today she's having some corn, so it helps. She's still not up to her normal appetite, but I think it's getting a little better day by day.

Bone dust might help. I'll PM you

1694751075499.png

Still not full appetite, but it's a little better day by day. Worms, grasses, and egg are still the favourite, but she will eat a little corn, and today pecked at her food a little bit.

Rooster actually got her to eat some soldier fly larvae today(it was very cute). She is in close to the others just separated by a mesh fence. He keeps trying to call her over... I found a place with a hole under the fence, and kept encouraging her to take more treats and enthusiastically gave her treats under the fence.

She's still a yard chicken by day, and a house chicken by night(there is not enough forage food in the main run, and most of the food she will eat(like egg) in bigger amounts, the others will eat immediately... I've been having her in a side run to make sure she's eating enough, but still in touch with the flock).

This morning though, she woke up and started really scarfing her dry food in the house. She's showing more interest in the flock and what they are up to. I let them hang out a bit...everyone's starting their first moult(including her), so some of the hens are a little mean right now. I am keeping an eye on them.

I will keep integrating her a little more each day though, and once she's eating enough chicken food on her own have her hang out more with her buddies.

Back
Top Bottom