Egg bound? Or something else?

sbmcqueen

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2022
We have a poor sick chicken, but not sure what is wrong. She is an 18 month old Buckeye.

This started today. She is not moving around very much. She is mainly stands right beside the water dish, and drinking a lot of water. All the others started going to the roost, and she still just stood there.

Her crop is empty except for the water.

We tried a warm bath just incase she was eggbound. We think she was egg bound in the past, but this was when back she was a pullet over a year ago. In general, I'm not sure whether she has trouble passing eggs. She typically makes a lot of of sound in the next box(like it might be uncomfortable?). Her vent seems to be pulsing.

She is isolated, and ate a very small amount of scrambled egg, but not very much. Also added some vitamins in her water. She is passing stool, but has runny diarrhea.

If you have any thoughts, please help. I know she is really note feeling well, as normally she is very very hard to even catch and right not is quite lethargic.

Last edited:
She may be having a hard time expelling an egg, I'd give her extra Calcium now, then once daily for a week.
You can find Calcium Citrate (600mg) with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Drinking a lot of water is a symptom of a crop problem. Whether her digestive system has slowed due to her not being able to expel an egg or is she's got a blockage/slow crop, hard to know. Often a crop is slow because of reproductive problems, but it can get that way for other reasons too.
I'd make water available to her. Egg is fine and some wet soupy feed if she's willing to eat.

I'd address the crop symptom according to the article below, it's one that I follow myself.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Just an update, but her vent has an awful lot of white fluid.

We are not sure whether this is egg remnant or something else. Any thoughts?

We had some friends much more experienced than us come help. The egg seems too large for her 😢. They thought it might need a vet but we are quite remote so this is difficult(not possible). Any thoughts or advice so appreciated.

Can you please post photos?

Do you feel an egg inside the vent or do you see something hanging from the vent?
I'm far from home unfortunately. This is really hard.
He says he does feel the egg though. Also, spoke to a local chicken friend and we think what we are seeing are urates

They tried last night to help the egg along, and got some contractions but no egg.

I'm starting to wonder/worry if maybe there is more going on. She has been egg bound before but we were able to resolve it. A couple months later she became ill went a few weeks with eating very little. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, and over time she bounced back.

She has been pretty healthy since October of last year, but this summer I've noticed she makes noises in the nest box like it is hard for her(hurts) to lay an egg.

She's feeling better this morning...spunky, and able to poo. She's also sitting (she had been only standing)

Poor thing...there's been a lot going on (hot weather, hawk attack, and thunderstorm). I don't know if they might be contributing factors, but maybe

I'm glad she's feeling better.

Sometimes when they have start to have reproductive problems, they can have good and bad days.

I'd consider getting extra Calcium into her for a week to see if that helps her expel an egg or get things back on track. 600mg Calcium Citrate with D3 is what I'd give, just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow.

I'm glad she's feeling better.

Sometimes when they have start to have reproductive problems, they can have good and bad days.

I'd consider getting extra Calcium into her for a week to see if that helps her expel an egg or get things back on track. 600mg Calcium Citrate with D3 is what I'd give, just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow.
I hope it keeps up. She's still not eating really...just a little yolk or butter. Her being in a better mood(and able to poo) though is encouraging, and really hoping. Poor little darling.

She has always been the runt, but she's a fighter.

Back
Top Bottom