Egg Bound? Or Something Else?

mosier

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
My 2-year-old Rhode Island Red hen is not doing well. On Saturday I noticed that she looked a little "puffy" with her feathers puffed out a bit more than normal. She also had a swollen tummy and seemed not as alert as normal. On Sunday it was more of the same, and today she is even more swollen, very lethargic, and a super-puffball. She has her tail down, which is very unusual. I'm not really sure what is wrong but I definitely know something is. She is waddling around and tonight couldn't even make it into the coop--I had to lift her up. Maybe she is eggbound? I googled and read that warm baths might help. I tried that tonight but it didn't do anything. I then used the hair dryer to dry her off since it's so cold this evening (she didn't mind it at all) and turned on a heat lamp in the coop.

My other two hens are perfectly normal, and Penny, the RIR is eating and drinking, but hasn't pooped or laid an egg from what I've observed.

What should I do? See if this sickness passes? Put her down?--if so, how? I'm pretty worried about her.

Here is a photo of Penny that I took this evening:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/_kristy_/3440695346/

And here is one of her looking healthy for comparison:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/_kristy_/2487819207/

Any advice?

I'm sorry about your sick hen.

Have you tried vaseline in the vent with a latex or vinyl glove?

Is there poo or an egg there?

I've seen folks with eggs stopped there that have done an episiotomy to remove an egg.

I'd say at this point, she probably won't make it.

Thanks for the reply Mahonri.

I haven't physically checked her vent or lubed her up, although I did read that those were options. I very lightly felt her bloated stomach and it didn't feel hard...only smooshy. I didn't feel an egg in there, but didn't palpate very hard. I'm worried that the massage/checking the vent technique might make things even worse. I can't tell if there is an egg or poo, just something real squishy in the outside part at least.

I hope she dies peacefully before things get out of hand. This is so sudden. I'm not really sure what caused this (or even what it is). I have lots of oyster shell, grit, food and water all nearby and my other two are doing fine. I just emailed the UW-Madison vet school, which is less than a mile away so see if they could help. Maybe at least she could benefit the new vet students....either by them diagnosing her or else a necropsy.

Penny definitely seems uncomfortable and sad, but it's hard to tell if she's in any pain or not. She doesn't make much noise at all, just a little bit of clucking when I pet her.

I believe I'd try lube and checking her vent in case an egg is stuck or broken in there, or there's a softshell egg stuck. But I can see why you might feel this would be unnecessary pain for her.

I checked her vent for an egg but didn't feel anything hard. I did put KY Jelly on and around her vent.

She's still looking horrible.
sad.png

OH, goodness. I'm so sorry. The pics really show how different she looks now. You know, I think often times they are feeling unwell much longer than we realize. So, it seems as if they were fine one day and then the next - WHAM. It could be so many things. Is she eating/drinking? Have you separated her? If not, I'd do so, and this way you can watch her poops and see if they tell you anything. I would not give layer feed, as you want her focusing ALL her energy on healing if she can!

She was eating/drinking as far as I can tell up til yesterday. This morning before work I saw her eating, but I'm not sure if she's drinking anymore....I assume so though.

I will seperate her tonight if I can find a safe spot to put her. She is still on layer feed because that's the only feed I have, although I will try to supplement it with some goodies this evening.

Thanks for the advice Wynette.

I use old dog crates when I have an ill one. If you don't have any, watch at garage sales...sometimes you can get them for way cheap! I got three good-sized ones for FREE because it was the last day and the guy just wanted to get rid of them. Anyway, you can tell a lot from their poops, believe it or not. Also, if she has an illness that is contagious, you sure don't want the rest of them to get sick, too. I hope she's not having an egg-laying issue. She sure looks like a sweetheart! GOOD LUCK!

Dog crates are a great idea.

I actually have a wire (rabbit-type) crate that would work, but I loaned it to a friend a while back and I'm not sure if she'll be able to return it by this evening. If not, I will just put her in our mudroom with a cardboard fence around her.

Back
Top Bottom