Egg bound or trying to pass worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crawfordmama, Oct 12, 2011.

1. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    First, please forgive me if the answer is in the forum. I've searched a few times but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I've found roundworms in my 1.5 y/o flock's poop recently and have treated for the very first time with Wazine. I didn't want to treat now because they're molting, but one of my EEs has been puffy and very lethargic. Under her spot on the roost I found roundworms and pieces of what appeared to be intestinal shedding. She doesn't even want to be held (very unusual) and sort of cries when she's touched. I should also note that I have a very zealous cockeral who has picked her as his favorite.

My EE in question hasn't laid in a few days, but as I said, she is molting. She had started making little noises similar to the hens when they're pushing on the nest. I haven't seen her on the nest at all. Her vent is pulsing like she's trying to push. I felt her belly but didn't feel anything that I thought was an egg. I felt on the sides of her keel. I gave her a very warm bath which she seemed to enjoy, but nothing passed. She has not had laying problems in the past.

Do you think she's trying to pass an egg, or a mass of roundworms? Is there anything else I can do to help her?

Thank you so much for your advice!
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. quesodano

quesodano Out Of The Brooder

How Sad...i hope some one can give you some ideas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by