Egg Bound Quail! HELP ASAP!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Valeriemichelle, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Valeriemichelle

Valeriemichelle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    I posted about her earlier, everyone was telling me she is probably egg bound.

I can feel an egg in her but its kinda far up, under her bone a little.
    -She just sits around all day, fluffed up.
    -eats and drinks a little.
    -acts like she cant get up on stuff
    -and doesn't want to use her wings.
    -She's also kinda smelly (more smelly then she usually is) I don't know if that means anything or not.

If she is egg abound what do I do for a quail?

I heard of people soaking their chickens in warm water.. dose that also work on quail or is there a other way?

Please help. She's been acting like this for a few days.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    And she hasn't laid an egg in a few days? I've never had an egg bound quail, but i would try doing what I do for the chickens--soak her butt in warm water and g e n t l y massage her. Be extremely careful though. You don't want to break the egg inside of her.

3. Valeriemichelle

Apr 23, 2010
    No she hasn't. The last egg she laid was brown (which was unusual for her) like 3 days ago.

Instead of warm water would a heating pad work the same? or is it better to use the water?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  4. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I would stick to the water, but that is just me. I know too, if a hen has prolapsed, to keep her in a dark area. Not sure if the same applies to quail, but the thinking is the dark will take away the urge to pass it, to give her body a chance to heal up. maybe someone else could chime in their opinions?

5. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Also, as far as egg colour is concerned, sometimes yo will get different coloured eggs, as the colour is added right before the egg is passed out. I have had speckled, blue, and alomost total brown eggs from the same quail.

6. Valeriemichelle

Apr 23, 2010
    Quote:Okay, at least I know thats fine now. I just got worried because she started acting wierd right after that, and she's never laid one like that before.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If the egg was very brown all over, it probably 'stayed in her' longer than it should have. So she's probably had this problem for a little while. Do you give her oyster shells? Some people don't think they need it, but they most certainly do.

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You can grind it up and mix it in the food:)

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Just don't use your blender like quaillady does [​IMG]

I just put some in a small feed cup in their cage, separate from their feed [​IMG]

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by