Egg Bound Quail! HELP ASAP!

I'm not really sure if she is egg bound.
I found out that she was limping when I took her out of her cage. And the pad on her one foot is swollen and red, also hot to the touch.

I might have mistaken this for being egg bound cause she's not getting around, and she's laying down a lot.

She cant even really walk at all now cause of her one foot. She tries to and just collapses.
I have to pick her up and hold her over her food and water dish so she can eat and get drinks.
hit.gif

But other then that she's drinking plenty and eating pretty good.

The foot thing isn't a sign of being egg bound is it?
Or is it probably just bumble foot?

Last edited:
2x a day should be fine. She should be feeling relief while she sits in the bowl. Mine wouldn't get out of the bowl, she was like at a spa haha

Another question, what are your birds housed on? Do they have a solid floor or wire? Being on wire all the time can cause this, make sure they have something solid to rest on sometimes. If they have a solid floor you might need to consider putting them on wire (with partially solid flooring) cause walking in their ickies all the time can cause this too
smile.png

My quails are in a cage with a solid floor.
I put fine wood chips on the bottom and then I also lay a towel in the corner and line their bed in towels.
smile.png

She has a little cut on her foot (not deep at all),
I'm not sure if thats what cause the bumble foot or not but I was thinking, maybe the cut got infected from her walking around her cage.

& aslo, It's okay to give her some cooked oatmeal right? Just want to be sure.
smile.png

Quote:
I don't think it would hurt to give her oatmeal, though I don't think it has much nutritional value for quail. I would say the cut on her foot is probably the cause of it.

Back
Top Bottom