Egg bound quail! Please help!

Qquails899

Songster
Dec 26, 2019
Hungary
Today I found out that one of my quails is egg bound. Her vent was prolapsed, but I could fix that. I put her in warm water for 15 minutes and now she's been in a dark place for 2 and a half hours. I gave her some ground egg shells. Still no egg. She's constantly shaking. I will bring her to a vet, but we have to wait 3 more hours. Is there any chance that she will survive?

That depends on whether or not the egg breaks inside her. If it breaks inside it could travel to the air sacs and into the lungs causing pneumonia.
Try getting some calcium citrate in her. You can find it at most pharmacies or Walmart or your local grocery store.
Hope your vet can get her fixed up! :hugs :fl

That depends on whether or not the egg breaks inside her. If it breaks inside it could travel to the air sacs and into the lungs causing pneumonia.
Try getting some calcium citrate in her. You can find it at most pharmacies or Walmart or your local grocery store.
Hope your vet can get her fixed up! :hugs :fl
Now she feels a bit better, she can poop and everything. I can't go anywhere right now, all I can do is wait until 3 pm, and then take her to the vet. The egg won't break if the bird doesn't move around a lot, right?

Back
Top Bottom