egg bound? UPDATE

Jynx21

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Roy, Washington
I have a Coocoo merans hen who is acting lethargic. She is all droopy, and slow to react. She is consistantly moveing her Bum. When i massaged her abdomen, i think i felt an egg. I put her into the coop and she wobbled her way back to where the older hens lay, and is sitting. What more can i do? Is this how an egg bound hen will act?

Last edited:
Ive lost two hens due to being egg bound.Their egg drops into their abdomen and a few days later death.

You must do something quick!

Put her in a separate cage and have her relax. Next dip her bottom into a deep bowl of warm water occasionaly.Then take her out and you have to massage her backside at the start of her tail feathers on her back.Just massage her side to side.Not too much or the egg might burst inside her.

At worst case, you can insert a ceramic chopstick into her vent and locate the egg and crack it so the insides will come out.The next step is to get the egg out. take the other chopstick and try to pincer the shell out with them ( do not reuse the chopsticks after this.Keep them for chicken emergencies,never for food consumption again!).

If this fails,take her to the vet.

Time is of the utmost importance.

I am not trying to say you are wrong gmendoza, but I think breaking the egg inside would be too dangerous. Soaking in warm water massage and oiling the vent also putting her in a quiet place on a heating pad with a towel over top. Heating pad on low,

Jynx21 Not to be mean or anything but if you stuck to one thread you would probably get more help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=436940

I wish you luck with your hen
hugs.gif

Moist heat is what helps. Put her in the sink with nice, warm water for 20-30 minutes with the water up to her hocks (she may eventually just sit down in the water). Them place her in a small area with towels that you pulled out of the dryer or a heating pad on low to medium. She'll need a place to get off the towel/pad if she gets too hot. If using warm towels replace when they get too cool or have a heat lamp directed toward one end of her cage. Have a small container of water and a little food in with her too. If after an hour or two she shows no progress you can put a small amount of KY Jelly (or olive oil in a pinch) in her vent--not too far! Be sure to take care to wash your hands well first to not introduce any bacteria.

thank you. And i was just getting worried that no one would look at my first thred.
We just oild her and i moved her into a nice, quiet, dark room. Im going to get some towels heated up.

Back
Top Bottom