Egg bound???

Neeci84

Chirping
Oct 8, 2020
Can a chicken be egg bound with an egg with no shell? My baby unfortunately doesn't produce shells on her eggs. We're looking into getting her an implant to stop her from laying all together. When she lays her egg she usually seems to not feel good before and for a little while after, but then perks up to her normal self. Today she woke up struggling. I gave her 2 warm Epson salt baths and put a little lubrication on the vent. Shes still standing, tail lowered, vent pulsing, and looking exhausted. I don't know what else to do. I have her in a nice dark quiet place. Can she be egg bound when the egg is soft and no shell?

Yes, it is common for shell-less eggs to be harder to pass, thus causing egg binding. Have you given any extra calcium, such as a human tablet or Tums, to help her pass the egg? Is she able to poop at all? I would place her in a warm and humid room, such as a steamy bathroom to try and lay the egg. Do you feed layer feed and provide a separate container of crushed oyster shell to help with hard shells? Some hens cannhave an injury or infection that affects the shell gland part of the oviduct, and may cause shell-less eggs. Infectious bronchitis in the past is well known for that. My best daily layer got hurt by a dog, and when she resumed laying, always laid a shell-less or thin shelled egg from then on.

Yes, it is common for shell-less eggs to be harder to pass, thus causing egg binding. Have you given any extra calcium, such as a human tablet or Tums, to help her pass the egg? Is she able to poop at all? I would place her in a warm and humid room, such as a steamy bathroom to try and lay the egg. Do you feed layer feed and provide a separate container of crushed oyster shell to help with hard shells? Some hens cannhave an injury or infection that affects the shell gland part of the oviduct, and may cause shell-less eggs. Infectious bronchitis in the past is well known for that. My best daily layer got hurt by a dog, and when she resumed laying, always laid a shell-less or thin shelled egg from then on.
She gets extra calcium and vitamin D. A good layer feed and oyster shell. I had her at the vet Tuesday and they said she looks great. Don't see any infection or issues. I crush the calcium pills and put in food usually. Im scared to death of pushing that giant pill down her throat, but she won't eat anything.

Chickens will swallow pills if placed into the throat. You can also find liquid calcium at most feed stores. If you probide layer feed and oyster shell normally, her problem is probably with her shell gland.

I got the calcium pill in her! First time giving a chicken a pill!

Chickens will swallow pills if placed into the throat. You can also find liquid calcium at most feed stores. If you probide layer feed and oyster shell normally, her problem is probably with her shell gland.
I just gave her the calcium pill! Hopefully it helps. I definitely think she has some type of genetic issue which is why I want to get her the implant. I hate seeing her go through this

Some vets do implants, but they can be expensive. Occasionally someone posts about their hen being spayed, but surgery with anesthesia is very risky in chickens. My hen eventually stopped laying altogether, but died a year or so later from reproductive issues.

Some vets do implants, but they can be expensive. Occasionally someone posts about their hen being spayed, but surgery with anesthesia is very risky in chickens. My hen eventually stopped laying altogether, but died a year or so later from reproductive issues.
My vet said she can do it luckily. Ill do whatever to save my baby

Back
Top Bottom