Egg bound

It's good that she's still able to move about a little. I wouldn't make her run right now, but it sounds like she could if she was inclined to do so.

If she's eating some, then likely she will drink too, but that's a good idea to offer some wet feed to get a little water into her.

When you feel her belly (below the vent between her legs) does it feel really tight like a drum or is it just firm?
It’s soft and balloon like. Thanks for you help...I am quite worried

If this is ascites, water belly, and it certainly sounds as if this is her issue, you can try a diuretic. Just pop one tablet into her beak. Be sure she has water available as it will make her thirsty.

It won't hurt to give her calcium, as well. I'm one for covering the bases as long as the meds don't interact, and these shouldn't.

FYI, Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate, while salt is sodium chloride. Two distinctly different substances, not at all alike.

If this is ascites, water belly, and it certainly sounds as if this is her issue, you can try a diuretic. Just pop one tablet into her beak. Be sure she has water available as it will make her thirsty.

It won't hurt to give her calcium, as well. I'm one for covering the bases as long as the meds don't interact, and these shouldn't.

FYI, Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate, while salt is sodium chloride. Two distinctly different substances, not at all alike.
Are diuretic tablets at a pharmacy? If it is water belly, how long can she live max?

I am guessing it’s water belly? Could it spread to other chickens? It spreads genetically, right? Does the treatment usually last? Could it be Marek’s? She seems very instable and when she tries to get up, her wings tip to one side...
Water belly generally is not contagious. A couple of common causes of fluid to build up in the abdomen are reproductive issues (cancer, peritonitis, Salpingitis, etc.) or organ dysfunction (heart failure, fatty liver disease, etc.).

If there is fluid in the abdomen, sometimes it can be drained to give the hen some relief for a short period of time There are risks to doing this - infection can be introduced, hens can go into shock and die. Possible there may not be fluid, but a mass or tumor instead.
If it's fluid, it can build back up, and of course whatever is causing it, is still there.

A detox may also help too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-breath-if-you-hold-her.1284253/post-20750855

Sometimes a hen can live for a while longer when offered supportive care while others decline. No one can tell you how long she can live.

I'm very sorry that she's not doing well. I really stinks when a hen is sick.

Water belly generally is not contagious. A couple of common causes of fluid to build up in the abdomen are reproductive issues (cancer, peritonitis, Salpingitis, etc.) or organ dysfunction (heart failure, fatty liver disease, etc.).

If there is fluid in the abdomen, sometimes it can be drained to give the hen some relief for a short period of time There are risks to doing this - infection can be introduced, hens can go into shock and die. Possible there may not be fluid, but a mass or tumor instead.
If it's fluid, it can build back up, and of course whatever is causing it, is still there.

A detox may also help too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-breath-if-you-hold-her.1284253/post-20750855

Sometimes a hen can live for a while longer when offered supportive care while others decline. No one can tell you how long she can live.

I'm very sorry that she's not doing well. I really stinks when a hen is sick.
Thanks so much! @azygous as well! She ate some more calcium today, with wet feed. But she does not move around. I feel like her feet are paralyzed. Could this possibly be Marek’s? Unfortunately, it does not look good for her. She has solid poop though, she eats a little, and I don’t think she drinks water any more. I also saw her lying on the ground (I brought her out to see how she was) pecking at grit and seeds. I of course hope she makes it, but the baths do not seem to help.

Do egg bound hens experience this?
She is one years old, do they tend to get cancer? Or water belly?

Back
Top Bottom