Egg bound

That’s what I have been doing. She did not drink any water until I brought her in the house. Her crop empties, I check everyday. She is eating a little bit of grower feed. I think she will be in the house the few days. I am afraid the heat will kill her. Not more maggots! That’s amazing though!
So she did drink some water later, on two sessions.

Cleaned her crate today and out a pad in. She seems to drink, I will need to get her more grower feed as well. I took the leftovers out, because it got wet. She walks around a bit. I took her out to play and give her a chance to peck at grit. Took her back in though, because it was too hot. No more maggots still, but it looks like she has some dried poop on her butt from yesterday.
Would it be okay to wash her everyday? Or should I just remove it with a wet paper towel?

Cleaned her crate today and out a pad in. She seems to drink, I will need to get her more grower feed as well. I took the leftovers out, because it got wet. She walks around a bit. I took her out to play and give her a chance to peck at grit. Took her back in though, because it was too hot. No more maggots still, but it looks like she has some dried poop on her butt from yesterday.
Would it be okay to wash her everyday? Or should I just remove it with a wet paper towel?
I think it would be ok to wash her bottom everyday. It's probably easier than a wet paper towel.

If poop is drying on the skin, this can be irritating over time. Do you have anything like Hen Healer or some type of ointment/cream you can put on the skin below the vent to help protect it from the poop?

I think it would be ok to wash her bottom everyday. It's probably easier than a wet paper towel.

If poop is drying on the skin, this can be irritating over time. Do you have anything like Hen Healer or some type of ointment/cream you can put on the skin below the vent to help protect it from the poop?
Not really, I have Vaseline. Don’t know if that works…I will not wash her butt today, we have a few chicks right now and I don’t want to get my shirt dirty and spread disease to them. They are all in the house. I will do it tomorrow afternoon though. Sounds like a plan!

Not really, I have Vaseline. Don’t know if that works…I will not wash her butt today, we have a few chicks right now and I don’t want to get my shirt dirty and spread disease to them. They are all in the house. I will do it tomorrow afternoon though. Sounds like a plan!
A thin layer of vaseline will help protect the skin, you can do that - all your looking to do is help the poop not to stick so bad and irritate the skin:)

Oh! Chicks! How fun is that?! What you may want to do is have a shirt you put on when you care for the hen, then change it out when you see to the chicks. Sort of change clothes, but very good idea not wanting to cross contaminate!

A thin layer of vaseline will help protect the skin, you can do that - all your looking to do is help the poop not to stick so bad and irritate the skin:)

Oh! Chicks! How fun is that?! What you may want to do is have a shirt you put on when you care for the hen, then change it out when you see to the chicks. Sort of change clothes, but very good idea not wanting to cross contaminate!
Yeah…great idea! I will do that. So far, I am trying to wash hands with soap and wipe door knobs, but that would definitely help.

I gave her a butt bath today. Tried to get rid of the poop. She is not eating much (eats watermelon and grapes). And very little of grower feed. Not drinking water, so I have been feeding watermelons. I forgot to apply Vaseline though. Will try to do so soon.

Back
Top Bottom