Egg bound

Keeping the nesting boxes very clean and the rear ends of your hens as well can help to prevent ascending infections.

But sadly, reproductive disorders are some kind of occupational disease with chickens.
I switch out the hay really rarely, about 1 time every 2 weeks…should I do it once every week?

It depends on the weather, coop and run conditions, muddy/poopy feet and butt = dirty nest = possible dirt sticking to the outward pressed cloaca during the act of laying.
Our area is more dusty than muddy, so that’s good, but that means that shavings make the coop quite dusty. How do “mercy” cull? Do you literally cut their throat??

Our area is more dusty than muddy, so that’s good, but that means that shavings make the coop quite dusty. How do “mercy” cull? Do you literally cut their throat??
I give them a strong blow to the head with a fishing utensil called "priest", that leaves them unconcious and then immediately chop their heads off.

This can be somewhat rough on the owner, but I consider it much better for the bird then slowly asphyxiating or choking on their own blood while hanging by their feet upside down.

Is your Dad going to help you?
Have him look up the Broomstick Method of putting a chicken down. There's a lot of videos.
This is the method I use to put my sickly hens down with, done correctly it takes just a few seconds.
I suddenly don’t want to put her down. As a last resort, I brought her out for a walk next to the chicken pen with the others inside. She started walking and seemed a little better. Maybe the sling helped??? Well, we may put her down. But I am still unwilling. What if she just has worms right?? I don’t know, you are probably right, she probably has some sort of reproductive disorder

If she gets much worse, my dad will do it.

I suddenly don’t want to put her down. As a last resort, I brought her out for a walk next to the chicken pen with the others inside. She started walking and seemed a little better. Maybe the sling helped??? Well, we may put her down. But I am still unwilling. What if she just has worms right?? I don’t know, you are probably right, she probably has some sort of reproductive disorder

If she gets much worse, my dad will do it.
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom