Egg bound

Debjay01

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2023

egg laying issue

In the morning she looks better found a weird egg in the container we have isolated her in. Any idea what to do for my chicken. I believe her to be a Starlight chicken.

Attachments

• 20240515_061242.jpg
    20240515_061242.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 26
Is there a hard shelled egg wrapped in those membranes? Can you open that up?

She "looks better" now. What did she look like before? Hunched and having a hard time laying an egg?

If she's back to normal, is pooping/eating/drinking and is not getting bullied/picked on, then I'd put her back with her flock.

I'd give her Calcium Citrate with D3 for 5 days. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Is there a hard shelled egg wrapped in those membranes? Can you open that up?

She "looks better" now. What did she look like before? Hunched and having a hard time laying an egg?

If she's back to normal, is pooping/eating/drinking and is not getting bullied/picked on, then I'd put her back with her flock.

I'd give her Calcium Citrate with D3 for 5 days. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
She was very lethargic almost looked like she had pasty butt and in the morning she laid an egg with it with like a paper machine membrane around it she is not laid one today.If she lays a normal egg today I will put her back with flock. Her vent looks a little irritated so I have her isolated inside in a big container with a nesting box.

She hates being isolated so she is acting fine I think she is just egg bound and am giving her calcium and a bath hopefully tonight she will pass a egg

She hates being isolated so she is acting fine I think she is just egg bound and am giving her calcium and a bath hopefully tonight she will pass a egg
Can you feel an egg?
Is she pooping?

Unless they are in a lot of distress and are being picked on, I leave my hens with their flock and just take them out for short periods of time when they need meds/treatment.

Yes thank you I returned her to her flock so maybe she will lay an egg. Gave her the calcium pills this morning am keeping an eye on her . But thank you for all your help

Back
Top Bottom