Egg Bound??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by patman75, Oct 1, 2009.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I’m dealing with an egg bound hen from what I have read. I’m no expert so please let me know.

4 days ago my White Leg Horn (Sugar) laid her first double yoker. She has been laying for 7-8 weeks now and consistently 6 eggs a week. She has not laid an egg since the double yoker. Yesterday I started to worry a little but she seemed full of energy and looked normal when I let them out to free range. I thought maybe it is just because we shorter days, it has been colder. This morning she did not come out of the tractor roost/nest box with the other hens and when I went out to check she was in a nest box but she came off the nest box thinking I might be bringing treats. She was up in the nest box for at least 1 hour and no egg.

I’m thinking if I come home from work and she has not laid an egg I might have to intervene.

My other 3 hens are laying with no issues.

What does this sound like to you?

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I would check to see if you can feel an egg. If you do, then you'll have to intervene.

Does she look like she is in distress?

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Update from wife is No egg, but she seems ok.

Very odd, she is my best layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by