Egg bound?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
Yesterday, 1 year 4 month old BSL had, what I think, was and deformed egg hanging out - she eventually passed it and seemed fine. Today, she was laying in the middle of the coop. Just laying there. I went up to her, (Something she usually doesn't like.) and checked her vent, unblocked, felt for lumps, nothing. Her comb/wattle is red still, and not floppy. She's holding her tail and half-mast, and is kinda scrunched up. She doesn't move, but she is alert, moving her head around, but not making any noise. I separated her from the bunch because she didn't look like she enjoyed the company, and so I could tell if she laid and egg. When I put her in the infirmary, she looked around, and walked around a little, slowly. Then she just sat there. I sprinkled some scratched near her, she looked at it interestedly, but didn't move to get it. I gave her food and water, and electrolytes, and she is currently sitting there contemplating the wall. Egg bound, or something else? I haven't seen her poop or eat/drink yet.

Now she could be egg bound, where an egg breaks inside of her. So put her in a warm bath and just massage her abdomen,
Breast and vent area for about 30 minutes. She might pass the egg!
If not, Then take her out, dry her off and get ready for this:
You'll need a latex glove, some lubricant and patience.
Rub some lube around her vent while you hold her gently. Slowly insert a finger (I KNOW IT'S WEIRD), and gently poke around in the upper tube. There might be a broken egg real close and you can try to pull it out but this procedure is VERY RISKY.
Keep her feed and watered and separate her from the group.
Now my white leghorn showed egg bound symptoms but guess what!? It wasn't!
After a week of this I decided to contemplate a different reason for her acting funny. Maybe she was constipated? So I went and bought some prune juice and put a bowl of it in her dog crate and she drank a lot of it. WITHIN THE HOUR SHE WAS POOPING EVERYWHERE. It was literally spraying out f her! It was the worst thing I've ever seen and smelled. It even hit the wall three feet behind her! The next morning she was all better! It was a miracle!!!!! She was chipper, clucking away, eating a lot, drinking a lot, was back to being shapely and not a puffed up globe, and was back with the rest of her friends!
Good luck sorry for the extent of this

Her belly isn't swollen at all. When I went out to let the others out, she had done her favorite thing to do in the infirmary - dug a trench around the water bowl, spill the water, and stand in the puddle. silly chicken. She was talkative to, moving around. I let her out and she ran off to join the others.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom