1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg bound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tenmile67, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,lubricating vent externally and internally often helps,you can also use any personal lubricant.

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

Olive oil orally?

1st. Olive oil gets digested, so how helpful can it be?
    2nd. Aspiration of any oil can cause lipoid pneumonia, which will cause death.
    3rd. Even if it did lubricate the digestive tract, it won't lubricated the repro tract. To lube that one needs to find the opening and get water soluble lube in there, *not* oil.

-Kathy

3. CackedNut

CackedNut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    St. Tammany

Oh, sorry for not being clear. I meant using the olive oil as a lubricant along with you finger to manually manipulate the egg to help it out. With my Polish, I read about and was advised to use a well lubricated finger to feel and gently try and help the egg along. Sorry for not being clear. :/

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  4. tenmile67

tenmile67 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2013
    I will have internet tonight at the house and take pics of her vent. She is acting normal as far as eating and drinking on her own. She can't walk well and tail is hanging down. I swear that lump feels like an egg! When I tried to push it up towards the her vent it would not show in the opening. She did nothing but lay there. She is not trying at all to push. That's when I started to push on it and it felt more muscular than an egg. She is pooping normal. Her poop was a little runny this morning. But I thinks that was from the lube. She is also loosing her feathers on her tummy now. Could this be an infection or worms? Should I be giving her some kind of meds at this point?

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    do I need to keep her inside a dark place all day? or can she be outside free ranging with the others? I am picking up the liquid calcium today if they have it.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you are trying to stop laying, they should be in a dark space or covered cage for 16 hours a day, so she could range with her friends for up to 8 hours daily, but during some of that time she needs to be eating her normal feed. Lowering her feed ration below normal can have an effect on decreasing laying.

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    no im not trying to decrease laying at least im not unless that's why they say in a dark location?? just trying to get what I think is egg bound egg out.

8. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    my plan is to give her another warm bath maybe blow her dry and put her with everyone else until I get back with the liquid calcium. does that sound ok?

9. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    well change of plans I opened the back door ans she wanted out so she went back to the nest box HOPEFULLY this time!!!

10. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    One reason you might want keep her in the dark is you want to reduce the chance that another egg will get produced and will get stuck behind the first stuck egg, like an egg traffic jam.

But hopefully the liquid calcium will work, and she will be back to normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by