egg-bound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by max13077, Sep 5, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a BO hen that is acting strange. I'm not really sure what's wrong with her, so I thought I'd ask.

Two or three days ago she started staying in the next box. She frills her feathers up when you come near, but then again, so does everybody else. I pull her out of the box and she fluffs her feathers and hops right back up in.

I thought she might be egg-bound because she(sorry, it's the only way I can explain it) flexes her butt like she's trying to lay an egg. But nothing comes out. I got brave the other night and inserted my finger into her behind and felt around. Except for some poo, I found nothing. I massaged her abdomen trying to feel if there was an egg, nothing.

I'm stumped. Any idea? I did find a huge egg in the nest under her this evening when I collected. But I think it was from one of the RIR's instead of her. I've seen two of them at once get into a box together. Or maybe she got out for a second.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Sounds to me like she is broody.

3. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking that too! But she's never been mated and I take the eggs every night. Will they still do that?

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    She is broody from the sounds of it.
    She doesn't need to lay eggs or be mated for the instinctive behavior of broodyness to set in.

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My BO Edna acts the same way, you'd think she was dying from the sounds she makes.

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Strangely enough, one of my RIR's is acting just like that too! I tried to see if she had an egg under her the other day and she gave me the evil chicken eyes!

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Broody!

Do a search on how to break a broody to find out what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by