Egg bounded chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lena, Dec 3, 2011.

1. lena

lena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    my 2 year old silkie/d'uccle mix is in "egg bound like" condition for 2 days min. now!
    I did all I could!i gave her warm bath 3 times a day, for 2 days.she is sitting on hitting pad,gave her olive oil oraly, she is in the separate box with heat lamp over and hitting pad under. I tryed to feel the egg and i could't find any !!! i put whole finger in, several times , in all directions - nothing!
    she is bloated- huge , eating very little, drinking very little , menages to poop once in the while a little! Trying to push all the time.Puffy and depressed.
    Poor thing! I can't look at her! She is my dear pet and I don't know what to do!
    Can it be somethig else but egg bound? Maybe some kind of fast growing tumor or somethig? Why I can't feel the egg?

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Look up "impacted crop" and see if that sounds like it.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    It is possible that she is laying internally. You can look it up by doing a search. I'm sorry. It is very stressful to have them sick.
    sharon

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Where on her body is she bloated?

You might also look up "water belly."

5. lena

lena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    She has bloated lower belly.All area between her legs and tail baloon like.
    She is small bantam. She stoped laying about month ago.First she was broody. Then she was molting.Then she had couple of eggs and about month ago she just stoped laying with no reason.
    She does't smell bad, no discharge.She is pooping veryyy little . Looks like a normal poop , just much smaller .
    Interested in food, but eats just several pelets.
    Doesn't move much, but can move if she needs to.Puffy and sleeps most of the time, but not letargic.
    What kills me < I can't feel the egg inside her!!! Can it be somewhere high up?
    If she is laying internally can you feel any kind of mass or lamp inside the body? I didn't find anything!

6. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Has she been wormed recently? Eating less would probably explain why she's pooping less. Is her bum bald? How's her weight? Does she have a high temperature? I've recently lost one of my girls and hated not knowing what was wrong with her until it was too late. She did have a fever though and had lost weight. [​IMG]

I hope someone more knowledgeable comes on with some answers for oyu - you could try posting this in the Emergencies and Diseases section for more help.

(I'm not sure I'd go poking my finger into a chickens vent - if she's already ill she might be more susceptible to getting an infection from it.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by