Egg Box in Garage

mego21

Chirping
May 14, 2015
I’m building a new home. It will have an attached garage. I have an idea to make an egg box built into the wall of the garage (kind of like a dog Door ;). My plan is just to have 3-5 chickens in a shed just outside the garage, and the egg box will be in the wall of the garage. My contractor is concerned about the smell of the chickens getting into the garage and house - what do you all think? Anyone have experience with chickens and garages?

Why do you want the nest box in your garage and be part of your house?

I’m guessing, to keep eggs from freezing and to keep dry collecting eggs. There’s a wonderful article from 2014 about a garage coop, very funny and well-written. (I somehow accidentally did a search on “garage coop” while trying to click on this thread.)

Poop trays filled with SweetPDZ and scoop out the poop daily. I had ten hens in my old coop (that's a 1 pound coffee can's worth/day). Five minute's worth of scooping each morning when I went out to feed them kept it odor free, even in the middle of the South Carolina summer.

Why do you want the nest box in your garage and be part of your house?
We live in Canada and winters are long, snow drifts are hard to deal with. So my thinking was that eggs would be easier to collect (less frozen eggs) and easier access to electricity for heating and water source.. I’m open to opposing views though - do you think it’s not worth building something into the wall of my garage..?

I personally wouldn't put it through the garage wall. If you got tired of the chickens or moved, how would you fix the hole? I'm also still trying to visualize what this would look like.

You could always run electric to the coop and use heat mats in a nest box.

I'm also still trying to visualize what this would look like.
I can see it....coop attached outside garage wall with nests 'external' to coop but 'internal' to garage. Kind of a risky thing to do to a new house if you ever plan on selling in the future, but <shurgs> could be reworked.
Reminds me of folks in some places and times who kept livestock under the same roof as humans.

Back
Top Bottom