Egg broke and was sticking out of vent, now chicken is lethargic !

I'm sorry she's starting to decline again.
This can often happen with hens that have reproductive disorders, they have their ups and downs until finally they are not able to overcome the condition that is causing their symptoms.

I'd work on getting her hydrated. Electrolytes for a couple of days. I'd try extra calcium for about 3 days to see if she's having problems expelling the lash material or an egg.
You can try antibiotics again to see if those make a difference. Salpingitis is inflammation of the oviduct, so they may help reduce that.
Thank you for the kind words and the help, I’ll try all of these things and hope for the best. You really have been a lifesaver for every time Angel has gotten sick!

Thank you for the kind words and the help, I’ll try all of these things and hope for the best. You really have been a lifesaver for every time Angel has gotten sick!
Hey Wyrop, something really odd just started happening today. She’s been seeming like she’s steadily getting better, eating more, starting to eat mealworms, etc. But just today she started having weird head movements, like she’s trying to look under something quickly but there’s nothing there to look under / at. Sort of a sideways movement. She’s also been scratching at her eye! So much so that there’s a few raw spots I had to put ointment on. Looking inside her eyelid there’s a small red mark but no worms or anything that I can see. I tried to put these into Poultry DVM but coming up empty besides eye parasites. As soon as I ever think she’s figured out something else comes up :/ Do you have any ideas of what this could be? I’m sorry for the constant bother 😓

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

A video of her actions would be helpful - upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Look her over really well for lice/mites, look inside her ears for infection (the inside of the ear should look clean with no debris/yellow wax or bugs), get a good look inside her beak for any canker/lesions and check her crop to see that it's emptying overnight.

For the eye, I would go ahead and rinse it with saline to see if that brings some relief, perhaps she got something stuck in the eye. Ointment like Terramycin or Original Neosporin can be put into the eye as well to help with inflammation.

You're not a bother:hugs
I wish I had better answers for you and I certainly do hope and wish she will get better.

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

A video of her actions would be helpful - upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Look her over really well for lice/mites, look inside her ears for infection (the inside of the ear should look clean with no debris/yellow wax or bugs), get a good look inside her beak for any canker/lesions and check her crop to see that it's emptying overnight.

For the eye, I would go ahead and rinse it with saline to see if that brings some relief, perhaps she got something stuck in the eye. Ointment like Terramycin or Original Neosporin can be put into the eye as well to help with inflammation.

You're not a bother:hugs
I wish I had better answers for you and I certainly do hope and wish she will get better.
I just was able to finish checking all these things, busy week 😅 It doesn’t look like she has problems in her ears, with mites, or anything in her mouth. Her crop also empties during the day and overnight. I wasn’t able to wash her eye out but will asap- just don’t have saline.
She seems to still be a little bothered by something still but she’s itching it much less than before & no weird movements now, thank goodness because despite my best efforts I couldn’t catch it on video at all, lol. I also attached what her poop looked like when you commented (watery) and what it looks like today.

She is doing much better now in terms of eating, though! Eating full meals and acting like herself again. This was exactly what happened last time she got sick. Your answers always help, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5141.jpeg
    IMG_5141.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5168.jpeg
    IMG_5168.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 7
The poop is looking better!

Hopefully she'll continue to improve for a while.

If you can't find saline, you can make your own. The recipe is 4 cups boiled water, add 2tsp salt, let cool. You can store in a clean jar for up to 24hrs. I'd make new/fresh daily.

The poop is looking better!

Hopefully she'll continue to improve for a while.

If you can't find saline, you can make your own. The recipe is 4 cups boiled water, add 2tsp salt, let cool. You can store in a clean jar for up to 24hrs. I'd make new/fresh daily.
Hello again again 😅 She of course is feeling sick again, but that was no surprise. I started giving her antibiotics already because it’s what we’ve seen like 3 times already, I thought I didn’t need help.
It looks like I was wrong though, her crop hasn’t been fully draining overnight. Having read the article sent earlier and searching it up I haven’t been able to find her symptoms. Her crop is usually only 1/3 or 1/4 full with what feels like grain, but she hasn’t eaten grain in a couple days. It keeps fluctuating and can be bigger (almost full) or smaller at one point in the day and be different hours later, yet she isn’t eating anything at all. It’s not hard like an impacted crop although I did give her oil, and her breath doesn’t smell like sour crop. Just today her crop felt doughy, but it hasn’t the past 2 days. She’s still pooping although they’re very small and watery. I feel like every time she gets sick it stumps me, but you somehow always know the solution :)

Attachments

• IMG_5581.jpeg
    IMG_5581.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom