Egg broke inside hen

UPDATE: I started her on antibiotics last night because she looks unwell. Not walking around much at all, all day. When up and walking around, she IS eating and drinking but not moving quickly or scratching around. She is very weak, it seems. She has NOT laid an egg, which is a big concern at this point. I have not observed her pooping but I also have not been able to watch for long periods of time. Although, I did observe her poop the day of the incident. She has had two doses of antibiotics so hopefully this well stave off any infection that may be brewing and prevent peritonitis....although it wont address the cause of the issue. Fingers crossed she begins to get better today....and maybe will lay an egg to dispel anything left in there. I will try a warm bath for her later today, although Im not sure that will help and will likely stress her further. Any input on whether or not I should attempt that? Thanks!

Let us know how she gets along, and I hope that it is just a one time issue.
I gave her cottage cheese yesterday and crushed up egg shells today. She ate them up, fortunately, but is still not doing well 😨 I posted an update too. TY again!

Thank you for asking and for replying and tagging @wyorprock and @Eggcessive!!!!!! She is acting “ok”—I know that’s not very descriptive—NOT her usual self but alert, bright/open eyes, not lethargic (but not moving about much, I believe due to pain). Vet has STILL not contacted me. She ate yogurt last night. Can’t determine if she has pooped. I’ll update as the day goes on. I’m most worried about infection at this point and I’m trying to get antibiotics!! Thank you for caring enough to answer, I really appreciate it.
im glad you could save her, egg bound hens, and hens with broken eggs dont often make it

She may be having troubles that are affecting her laying. I was hoping that it was a one time issue. If she seems strong, she may well enjoy a warm soak, and that might help her expell another egg if one is on it’s way. But never bathe a weak or struggling chicken, since that can push them over the edge. Giving the calcium supplement for about 3 days in a row would be what I would try. Some hens may continue to struggle with shell-less eggs getting stuck or breaking inside. Can you share which antibiotc that you are using? Amoxicillin, clavamox, or Baytril are some that can help treat reproductive infections in early stages.

She may be having troubles that are affecting her laying. I was hoping that it was a one time issue. If she seems strong, she may well enjoy a warm soak, and that might help her expell another egg if one is on it’s way. But never bathe a weak or struggling chicken, since that can push them over the edge. Giving the calcium supplement for about 3 days in a row would be what I would try. Some hens may continue to struggle with shell-less eggs getting stuck or breaking inside. Can you share which antibiotc that you are using? Amoxicillin, clavamox, or Baytril are some that can help treat reproductive infections in early stages.
@Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock
Well, another UPDATE. Things are NOT going well...now from the other end. Her crop is HUGE and her symptoms are consistent with sour or impacted crop (not sure which it is). I can feel all of the food she has eaten in there, the seed, etc. so I would describe it as "mushy" as opposed to "hard", if that helps any. I have given her coconut oil and massaged it for awhile. I also tried to get it up, or coax her to "vomit" by massaging her crop and holding her mouth open while holding her slightly upside down. This is my first time tackling this issue so I dont know if I am doing it "hard enough" to get t up...but she is so weak already that I am only giving it a few tries at a time. I did NOT bathe her. My assumption (and fear) at this point is that she has a blockage in her digestive tract, further down. I have no idea what to do at this point. She is so weak that I don't think she would do well with surgery however, I am willing to try it, as a last resort, if necessary (and also keep in mind, I 'm kind of a one woman show out here, so this may not be the greatest option for me!) Other than giving coconut oil and massaging the area, any advice? TIA!!!!!!

I'm sorry she's not doing well.

I would not try to vomit her or make the contents of the crop come up.
Is she pooping at all - have you seen her poop?

A lot of times crop issues are a symptom of another condition such as her having reproductive problems. Inflammation in the body may be restricting the processing of foods and she's not able to eliminate waste.

Have you felt inside her vent to see if there is another egg? I would not soak her since she's so weak, but checking for an egg would be good.

What antibiotic are you giving her?

Yes, I agree, do not massage a soft puffy crop or try to make her throw up. Crops can become slow for various reasons. Does she have any bad or sour odor from her beak? Sorry that she is not doing well.

I'm sorry she's not doing well.

I would not try to vomit her or make the contents of the crop come up.
Is she pooping at all - have you seen her poop?

A lot of times crop issues are a symptom of another condition such as her having reproductive problems. Inflammation in the body may be restricting the processing of foods and she's not able to eliminate waste.

Have you felt inside her vent to see if there is another egg? I would not soak her since she's so weak, but checking for an egg would be good.

What antibiotic are you giving her?
Thank you so much for your response, I’m very worried about her. I will check for an egg first thing in the morning. I’m giving her Naxcel (what the vet Rxed). She is on her last dose tomorrow morning. I saw her poop a teeny tiny amount today (barely quantifiable beyond that!) and it was very yellow (more liquid than solid). I do think that her crop issue is secondary to the reproductive issue. We are w/o a chicken vet in our area so your response, along with the others, is so supportive,..Thank you 🙏🏼

Yes, I agree, do not massage a soft puffy crop or try to make her throw up. Crops can become slow for various reasons. Does she have any bad or sour odor from her beak? Sorry that she is not doing well.
Sorry @Eggcessive im only just now seeing this!! Ugh, it goes to show how much (mis)information is out there online—I thought massage with oil was the way to go...but I will certainly stop!! 😩 She has no improvement today. No sour odor from her beak at all. Thank you for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom