1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Candler

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by xcalibor67, Jun 11, 2017.

1. xcalibor67

xcalibor67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2017
    Just found my candler. Since my 1st hatch ever is in the bator, i figured i would go ahead and build/buy/borrow some elusive million dollar tool to candle with...All i came up with was this Dewalt 20v flashlight,...it just so happens a toilette paper roll sleeve snugly fits into the lights round plastic. Might do a lil tape to be sure. It lays down quite sturdily, and makes eggs glow like a brilliant sun. Easiest part of whole project..lol. Funny part is, i was out in the tool house looking for wood, screws, light fixtures, anything i might have on hand to make a candler....after about 5 mins of looking, the idiot holding the light(Me) realized the candler was in my hands...

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Funny, that was the exact same design of my first candler too. I recently purchased an actual candler because my flashlight got old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by