Egg Candling! Tips, Tricks, and Best Practices.

Because of the heavy bloom, these Delaware eggs have proven to be very difficult to take clear pictures of while candling but they were really swimming around tonight!

5-13-21 Day 8.jpg

5-13-21 (2-2).jpg

Please explain! I'm a newbie and interested in hearing exactly why not to candle from the pointy part or side! Thank you.
There is not a reason exactly. Why not to candle from the pointy end. I have seen alot of people that actually candles that way for the first little bit. But you will see when you get farther along in candling that you can't see as well from the pointy end. Other than that I don't think it will actually hurt anything doing it either way.

I did have one quitter that quit around day 9-10. I waited until day 13 to dispose of the quitter because there weren't any odors that concerned me and I wanted to be absolutely sure since these eggs have very heavy bloom. All 4 images are different angles of the same egg. It has clearly quit, all blood vessels have receded.

5-18-21 quit about day 9-10, photo taken on day 13 (1).JPG
5-18-21 quit about day 9-10, photo taken on day 13 (2).JPG
5-18-21 quit about day 9-10, photo taken on day 13 (3).JPG
5-18-21 quit about day 9-10, photo taken on day 13 (4).JPG

Last edited:
Please explain! I'm a newbie and interested in hearing exactly why not to candle from the pointy part or side! Thank you.
I haven't read this anywhere. I'm just taking a guess. I have assumed many things in my lifetime where I really didn't know what I was talking about. In that case just blame it on my overreactive mind. Anyways here we go.

First the bottom gives the air cell more surface area letting in a wider ray of bright light. Also since it tapers toward the pointy end the light intensity remains the same all the way through the egg including the shell. Neither the pointy end nor side has both these characteristics so the image wouldn't be as complete.

Hope I didn't make people more confused which I have been known to do.

did they hatch! I have 6 Delaware eggs under my broody, and it’s been hard to see what’s going on after day 4/5.

Yes! All 16 of the eggs that made it to lockdown hatched, for a 94% hatch rate since I did have one early quitter.

94% (started with 18, 1 infertile, 1 quitter, 16 live chicks)
5-25-21 (2).JPG
5-25-21 (3).JPG

Yay! Soooo cute! they say to not count the chickens before trhey hatch, but it’s just so hard!

I have 6 eggs and on day 7, and i may have one quitter. one of my eggs isn't showing any movement, and has fainter veins than the rest.

However, this is my first time hatching, and I have no idea what I’m doing.
how long does it take for the veins to recede after death?

Strong healthy movement:
01CCDE84-C593-46E1-AC16-ABBA62187AE2.jpeg

potential quitter:
6AA3D96C-8041-4771-9794-05492E212428.jpeg

And since a video says more than a thousand words, I’d like to contribute to this thread with mine :)

https://youtube.com/shorts/xMQ6lF6Hf20?feature=share

Back
Top Bottom