Egg carton hatching? I need a visual!

Brittany Bennett

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2017
i want to try the egg carton hatching because all my shipped eggs have a saddle air sac. Can someone show me a picture of how it is done? I read to cut down, but I need a visual.

I'd honestly lay the eggs on their sides. I tried the egg carton method on shipped eggs and the chicks pipped at the wrong end and died. The ones I had laying on their sides made it though.

IMG_4675.JPG

Here is a pic of how I did it. Notice all my air cell problems :oops:

I had six shipped eggs that looked like that and gave them to my best broody. Only one hatched I'm sorry to say.

I only egg carton hatch. I use the plastic egg cartons used for camping. They can be disinfected and do not absorb moisture.

I get a much better hatch rate in cartons. I do not lay them even partially on the side like the ones in the pictures. However, I hatch in cabinet incubators and my eggs stand upright the entire incubation period.

If you need to hand turn the eggs in a carton you simply raise one edge and block it up. ( I have foamies too)...Some people say I hatch too many birds in a year.

Yes I think if I had used an incubator and kept them upright like in your photo they would have stood a better chance.

Back
Top Bottom