Egg Carton Machine (manually operated)

tcory

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
Hello,

I hope this is the correct place to ask. Sorry, if it isn't.

Many years ago, my landlady showed me an "egg carton machine" she had used on her farm. Amazing device, I thought.

When I saw one for sale, I bought it.

I cannot find "blanks" (non-bent paper cartons) or even a drawing of a "blank". I figure that I will be required to make my own "blanks", but I do not know WHAT they look like.

Can anyone help me with a drawing or picture of a "blank"? I really don't want to buy cartons, but would prefer to make them myself.

THX, tmc

There is a company called Uline that sells packaging supplies. They sell a lightweight chipboard that might work.

You could give them a call, they will either know what you need or will give you the name of the company that carries it.

Cheri

Did a little searching, and apparantly you need to use paper pulp.

Here is a recipe that you could play around with. I used to make my one paper for fun, all you need is scrap paper. Paper shredded at work and shredded newspaper is what I used.

Making Paper Mache Pulp
Here's a good recipe for making paper mache pulp that can be used to make sculptures, relief maps, pinatas, and just about anything else you would normally make from paper mache. Its also a way to recycle old newspapers and junk mail.

Making Paper Mache Pulp

Ingredients:

newspaper or junk mail (no glossy or "slick" paper)
bucket or large bowl
large pan of warm water
electric mixer or manual egg beater
paste (either classroom or wallpaper)
oil of cloves (optional, prevents mold)

Directions:

1. Tear newspaper or junk mail into about 1" squares. Tear enough to fill the bucket or large bowl.

2. Sprinkle the squares of paper into the large container of water, stirring to make sure all the paper is getting wet. Make sure to have enough warm water so that the paper is completely covered and well soaked.

3. Let soak 24 hours, or at least overnight.

4. Beat the soaked paper with the mixer. [NOTE: I keep an old, manual egg beater on hand for craft projects....I save my electric one for cooking. Alternatively, look for a used electric mixer or blender at the flea market or yard sales and keep that one for craft projects.]

5. Strain out excess water from mashed, soaked paper pulp. Squeeze with hands until nearly dry.

6. Gradually add paste to squeezed paper pulp until it is clay-like in consistency. Stir or knead as necessary. The amount of paste added depends on how dry the paper pulp was and how much pulp you have.

7. Add a few drops of oil of cloves, if desired. This prevents mold from developing as your project is drying. Add more drops for a large batch of pulp.

After your project has dried, you can paint and varnish or shellac it. Depending on the consistency of your pulp, the finished product can be very sturdy and long-lasting. You can also use the paper mache pulp to sculpt large projects by using fine "chicken wire" as a frame.

Cheri

I would think you could speed it up just by using a good paper shredder with a confetti cut option. I did that when I needed horse bedding one winter. $30 paper shredder and all the old newspapers and office papers from various people and I kept my 12x12' stalls full for 3 months. Far too time consuming for filling stalls on a regular basis but that much paper would make a heck of a lot of cartons.

I guess that I didn't make myself clear. I do that a lot.

I do not want to make paper. What I am wanting are exterior dimensions, lengths and placement of any cuts. With them I hope to make a pattern of an unmoulded egg carton. Using the pattern, I intend to make "blanks" for my egg carton machine.

The egg carton machine was the way they did it in "the old days", so you'll probably have to be old (like me!) to have seen a machine/blank.

I hope I am more clear. tmc

Back
Top Bottom