egg carton method drawbacks?

keystonepaul

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
Pocono
any thoughts on using the carton method in a smaller bator like the hovabator. I had 25 eggs in cartons which covered a lot of floor space with styrofoam. I did have holes in the bottom of each egg well. My thought is that even with the holes cartons took up a lot of surface area- did it contribute to humidity not being as high where the eggs were. Certainly the folded paper towels and sponges were on the same "floor" as the eggs, but the pan itself was in the "basement". Also does this work against the benifits of the fan by inhibiting air flow in general, but specifically air flow to the pan and subsequent humidity function of the pan?? Certainly folks have had good hatches in Hobavators and similar size bators with the egg carton method, but with the whole floor covered with carton does it have some detrimental effect? I don't contribute my hatch rate on my first attempt to the cartons, fragile shells, long postal trip, and operator error mostly to blame I believe. Just some thoughts when I saw how much area was covered by cartons. any thoughts from those with more experience than I- which would be 99% of you. So if you have a thought throw it out there. Thanks, Keystonepaul

I have yet to identify any true benefits with using egg cartons, other than "less of a mess". Even so, an incubator needs to be cleaned regardless after each hatch. Also, if the chicks are left in the proper amount of time to dry completely, they are bound to poop on the bator floor. So, there goes that theory.

My initial thoughts are it would inhibit proper humidity and air flow. It also seems it would inhibit the chicks ability to get their legs under them properly with extra hurdles in the way. I have never used the method and have found no need to, so I couldn't say for sure, but those are my observations about it.

Jody

I think my chicks hatch out great in the egg cartons- however, I have one problem that I cant figure out how to prevent/help. My chicks, particularly the ones that hatch early- like to stand on the carton, and continually hit the heating element that encircles the LG. I am sure it doesnt feel good, and they certainly cant understand why it burns.

If I could find a way they couldnt touch that with their head, I would absolutely love the carton hatch method.

It's the only way I've done it.
Somehow it seemed so much simpler because I wouldn't have to deal with them rolling around the disturbing each other.
I have no idea if it has negatively impacted my hatches, but it doesn't feel like it.

The Genesis (Hova 1588) has plenty of head room, so the issue of the chicks bumping their heads ....isn't.

Susan

Last edited:
I LOVE using the carton. I have a homemade bator so I don't have the issue of not enough height. The funny thing is that the chicks often climb back into the carton and sit for awhile. I think it gives the chick more leverage when zipping as the eggs doesn't roll around.

My failed hatch, due to thermometer problems, I had in egg cartons. I had two in that hatch that pipped-at the wrong end! I don't know if they would have made it but, I have been afraid to try it again. I'm using rings made from paper towel roll. I just set the eggs on their side of a ring.

Last edited:
The paper towel roll/rings sounds like a good idea too. Tomorrow is day 18 so I'm reading everything I can find to help my hatch.

In my total ignorance, I do have to ask though - what is the advantage to placing the eggs on their sides on the ring as opposed to just laying the eggs on their sides on the bottom of the bator? If they roll around so much before they hatch, wouldn't they roll right off the ring?

Quote:
It's the chicks that hatch that roll them around. There is a thought that this decreases the chance for those to hatch. Stablizing them so they are not easily rollable helps.

That makes sense - thank you for explaining. I think I will give this a try when I take the turner out tomorrow. I don't have enough TP or PT rolls but I will do what I can.

How high do you make the rings?

Back
Top Bottom