Egg-ceptionally Helpful Info about EGGS

Did you know about these resources before?

• Yes - been there, read it, thanks for the repeat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - going to check it out right away, thanks for the info

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Never thought about it, don't care stop posting already

• Interesting - will check it out if I have time

• Total voters

ChickenTender13

Hatching
May 18, 2015
Northeast Colorado
Recently I realized that I was not going to be able to use/eat 4 eggs every day when I am the only one home all the time. So I started looking into how long eggs keep, best practices, health and safety precautions and issues when selling eggs from backyard chickens. There are a couple websites and more specifically informational items that I really thought would be relevant. The USDA and several other agencies have websites with a ton of info. EggSafety.org provided the following:

CENTER][About Eggs' Appearance as it relates to Food Safety[/CENTER]

The appearance of an egg is not usually related to food safety. Variation in color and appearance can be due to many factors:

Blood or meat spot – Rupture of small blood vessel(s) in yolk at time of ovulation, or deposition of tissue during egg formation

Cloudy egg white – Egg is extremely fresh

Color of yolk – Influenced by pigments in feed in the hen’s diet

Green ring on hard-cooked yolk – Result of overcooking egg, caused by sulfur and iron compound reactions on the yolk surface of the yolk

Off-color egg white, i.e. pink, green or iridescent – Spoilage due to Pseudomonas bacteria, a very common type of bacteria that healthy people often carry without knowing it. This bacteria produces a greenish, fluorescent, water-soluble pigment in the egg white. If you come across an egg with an off-color egg white, DO NOT EAT.

Black or green spots inside the egg – Results of bacterial or fungal contamination of the egg. If you come across an egg with black or green spots inside the egg, DO NOT EAT.

http://www.eggsafety.org/how-can-i-help-you/ Offers a great a FAQ for common questions
I included a screen shot of the topic headings.

Additionally the Incredible Edible Egg initiative has a really nice website: IncredibleEgg.com where they have a great reference document for download called the Eggcyclopedia as well as recipies, educational info, resources and links to other associated industry sites.

Thought this was relevant and Very helpful. Happy chicken-ing!

One of the weird things I've come across in my time keeping birds (and related to pigments changing yolk color) is that if ducks (and I assume chickens) eat a lot of acorns, you'll have eggs with green yolks. They look gross, but seem to be fine.

Back
Top Bottom