Egg cleaning and storage

I don't wash eggs unless they are very dirty, then will refrigerate or use immediately because thorough washing will remove all the protective bloom(cuticle).

Eggs should be washed in 'water warmer than the egg'.
Simple physics, using colder water will cause the egg contents to contract, causing any 'germs' on exterior surface of egg shell to be pulled into the interior of egg thru the shell pores. Using warmer water will do the opposite.

I don't use any soap or other cleaning/sanitizing agent, just rotate in my hands to 'scrub' all surfaces area of egg shell. Then I air and towel dry before placing in the fridge.

If you are washing eggs for sale to the general public, other requirements may apply, so check your state regulations.

Float Myth:
Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

I'm a non washer as I stockpile eggs to get me through the winter months. Poopy eggs get washed then are used immediately mostly for baking. If they are super dirty, I just smash them on the ground and let the chickens ear them.

When you say stockpile eggs for the winter, do you keep them in the refrigerator all those months until winter? I'm just curious. This is the first year I'm not worried about having hundreds of eggs in my fridge. Before I used to worry and think they would go bad so I would feed them to my dog and chickens. Now I'm more selective and only feed the off-looking ones that I inspect after cracking.

When you say stockpile eggs for the winter, do you keep them in the refrigerator all those months until winter?

The way I do it is I stop giving away eggs at first week of October or so and begin ramping down my usage (so no egg salad, deviled eggs, etc.) Most of my chickens stop laying in November. My goal is to have enough eggs to make it until/through January without having to buy more. And then hope that they'll start up again in February. So the eggs don't really sit around for THAT long, maybe 2-3 months at most.

Last year I did get a single chicken that molted very late, so she continued to lay until she molted in December. But no one started up again until March/close to March, so I did end up having to buy 1 dozen towards the end anyhow.

Because we get more eggs than my husband & I can eat, I sell them to my neighbors, etc.

I always give a little cheat sheet to anyone who buys my eggs because most people don't know about farm eggs...i.e. the bloom, how long they can last inside/outside the refrigerator, etc.

Here is what I give out...
IMG_5172.jpg

2 weeks out of fridge isn't quite accurate, but CYA. ;)

Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

Back
Top Bottom