Egg Cleaning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Krieger11, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Krieger11

Krieger11 New Egg

Oct 15, 2015
    Okay i know the procedure for cleaning eggs and i always make sure that my eggs are clean before i put them in cartons. I sell my eggs to locals weekly b one of my buyers wants the bloom left on the eggs, no problem but how do i clean the "bi-product" off the occasional dirty egg without removing the bloom? suggestions?

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Maybe just gently rub and run underwater... Bout the only thing i can think of unless you can clean it with a dry cloth not sure.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    IMO, do your best. But, your customer who wants the bloom intact needs to understand that sometimes s... happens.

4. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I just rinse mine under water if they have poop on them/dirt on them. I don't do anything more than that. I will be telling mine to just wash before cooking with.

5. Krieger11

Krieger11 New Egg

Oct 15, 2015
    that's not a bad idea, light washing and tell wash before cooking
    ~ Thanks

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't usually wash eggs at all, or refrigerate them.
    'Lightly' washing or 'cleaning' seems silly to me....you can't scrape off all dirt/poo, and it compromises the bloom - removing that protection.

Either wash it thoroughly and refrigerate.... or leave it be.

My 6 customers know I don't wash eggs, I explain the bloom and all that, it's up to them what they do with them for storage/use.

If egg has poop/dirt on it, I use it myself.
    Sometimes I wash before use, sometimes I don't.
    If it's really nasty, I wash and refrigerate it right away.

But I only have 15 layers and keep them from sleeping in the nests so nests remain clean.
    Dealing with a larger population of birds and more customers might require a different approach.

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I wash and refrigerate eggs here, unless they are for hatching. Mary

8. Krieger11

Krieger11 New Egg

Oct 15, 2015
    Have 46 layers in 4 separate coops and runs. i think ill just clean them all and if she doesn't want them ill find a different buyer.

Thanks everyone :)

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You could pick your cleanest out of the pile and box them for her, and wash the rest. I keep my eggs on the counter for the week, then box all of them for sale at the end of the week. The very clean ones go straight into a box, the ones with a smudge get spot washed with a scrubby, spot of soap, rinsed under warm water, and then dried and boxed. I think it actually cuts my boxing time to do it this way. Any thing that's not pristine goes into a box for my own use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by