Egg Cleaning

Krieger11

Hatching
Oct 15, 2015
Okay i know the procedure for cleaning eggs and i always make sure that my eggs are clean before i put them in cartons. I sell my eggs to locals weekly b one of my buyers wants the bloom left on the eggs, no problem but how do i clean the "bi-product" off the occasional dirty egg without removing the bloom? suggestions?

I just rinse mine under water if they have poop on them/dirt on them. I don't do anything more than that. I will be telling mine to just wash before cooking with.

I don't usually wash eggs at all, or refrigerate them.
'Lightly' washing or 'cleaning' seems silly to me....you can't scrape off all dirt/poo, and it compromises the bloom - removing that protection.

Either wash it thoroughly and refrigerate.... or leave it be.

My 6 customers know I don't wash eggs, I explain the bloom and all that, it's up to them what they do with them for storage/use.

If egg has poop/dirt on it, I use it myself.
Sometimes I wash before use, sometimes I don't.
If it's really nasty, I wash and refrigerate it right away.

But I only have 15 layers and keep them from sleeping in the nests so nests remain clean.
Dealing with a larger population of birds and more customers might require a different approach.

Have 46 layers in 4 separate coops and runs. i think ill just clean them all and if she doesn't want them ill find a different buyer.

Thanks everyone :)

You could pick your cleanest out of the pile and box them for her, and wash the rest. I keep my eggs on the counter for the week, then box all of them for sale at the end of the week. The very clean ones go straight into a box, the ones with a smudge get spot washed with a scrubby, spot of soap, rinsed under warm water, and then dried and boxed. I think it actually cuts my boxing time to do it this way. Any thing that's not pristine goes into a box for my own use.

Back
Top Bottom