Egg collecting question!

we leave them in the nests because our hens are new to us, and we wanted to keep them in there until all of them started laying (which they are as of sunday) so they know for sure where to go. but this week I will be taking them out. but they worked nicely, and will use them again for new hens.

We bought a 3 pack of golf balls for the thrift store for a $1 and the girls lay right next to them with no problems. They like to move it around to the prefect spot too.
We also collect once a day right now, probably twice a day in the summer.

I have a 10 hole nest box, and 10 white leghorn hen's, and they all lay in 2 nest...lol
D.gif

I just try not to let them see us take the eggs, but otherwise collect all eggs daily. They just keep on laying. We did have a plastic egg in there for a while, but I don't think its necessary anymore.

Wait till they start moving the eggs and/or golf balls to different nests on ya. They'll have you thinking you are losing your mind.

Quote:
So.. I should not reach in and take an egg from under my hens? My hens have been laying for 1-3 weeks now (some more than others) and they have seen me collect eggs (although I do leave 2 fake ones in each nest). What happens if they see you take the eggs - will they try to find a new hiding place?

I don't take eggs out from under a hen. I wait until she is done, and has left the nest. Even so, some of our hens will repeatedly move where they lay after we take the eggs. Only our free range hens do this. It's an Easter egg hunt everyday with them!
wee.gif

Is it okay to take eggs from under a hen that is going broody? My four hens have just started laying and my buff orpington seems to want to stay on the nest after she lays.

I take my eggs if the chickens are looking or not. I dont think they care much.
I always take them all too. They keep laying...even in the same spot.
But Ive let them build up their eggs in hopes my cochin will become broody and hatch me some chicks
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom