Egg collecting question!

kimberlycarol

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
san diego, CA
This may be a stupid question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere! Maybe you all just automatically know this stuff, but for a city girl...
I got my first egg yesterday! By the sound of my big girl out there, I am getting a second one right about now
smile.png
Question is, if I take them both will she freak out on me or stop laying in the box? Should I leave an empty nest, or should I always leave an egg in there? Or golf balls or something? I was so tempted to take that one yesterday, but I refrained and now don't know what to do! Thank you!!

~kim

we bought a pack of 12 plastick 'practice' golf balls for less than $2 and they seem to do the trick. the girls will gather them and sit on them, then lay their egg and be done with it. I gather what few eggs I get (I only have 4 hens) and they don't really know the difference. maybe a pro has more to add

and CONGRATS!! on the 1st egg!!!

Last edited:
Just take them, and frequently. Leave wooden eggs, golf balls or I even have a few roundish rocks in there. Don't know if it makes a difference but hey, WHATEVER. Have fun. New egg everyday is like finding the "x" in a treasure hunt!

Thank you for the replies! It being easter time, I will grab a few plastic eggs and throw them in there before I collect the new eggs. (Two now!! Small, but perfect
smile.png
)
~kim

i collect my eggs and keep nest box empty, never had problems with missplaced eggs or a shut down of production.

she knew here to lay them to start with and will keep laying there she knows best.

i think that keeping a nest full just promotes a broody hen but that is just my thinking

and i been called a bird brain more then once in my life...?

I agree with Woodward Farms... I collect the eggs daily and leave the nests empty and the hens never slowed down on the laying a bit... plus none seemed to go broody at all.

Hi!
frow.gif
Congrats on your first egg!! My son read your post, and he said that if you leave the eggs, your hen might go broody on you. Then it would depend if you wanted babies or not. LOL
D.gif

Quote:
Nope, I've purposely put eggs back in the nest trying to encourage broodiness. I have a breed that's known to be a fairly good brooder. It doesn't work.
sad.png

Nothing's gonna make them go broody until they get darn good and ready. Believe me, I've tried everything.

Back
Top Bottom